The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: SPD_FRK solved the CEL codes for 02+ 5spd swap!!!!

Showing results 1 to 19 of 19

Icon14 SPD_FRK solved the CEL codes for 02+ 5spd swap!!!!

sorry is this is in the wrong forum, but SPD_FRK did some research and just recently posted on Galanttuners.com that he has eliminated the 5 codes from the ECU without resistors OR using any other ecu!!!!

(SPD_FRK: i hope you repost all the pics and info here at TGC as well, VERY useful info for the 02+ guys who wanna do the manual tranny swap)

He used the solenoids already in the A/T and reconnected them to one of the harnesses to the stock ECU. Might need a few more pics to verify and demonstrate. Excellent how curiosity and a little thinking can go a long way.
    Congrats!!

02 Mit. Galant 5 Spd -> 2010 Mit. Lancer Sportback 5 Spd -> (current) 2014 Mit Evo GSR 5 Spd
    run1206's Rear Disc Tutorial
    run1206's CF Hood Resurface Tutorial

Experienced TGC Member
    Thanks man, props go to Ivory8g (Marc) as well for allowing us to use his G as the test subject. We had a slight hickup with code P1751 (A/T Control Relay), only to find it was due to a faulty fuse. Rescanned and no longer seeing any of these codes thrown.

I will post up more details and photos later. We still ned to fab a box to house these solenoids, but all in all this is an issue that is "behind" us all now.

3G Eclipse Performance & Development - Denver, Colorado
    www.blackheartmotors.net

NO SH*T!!!??? Totally awesome!!! need info on your build thread SPD_FRK, lol ASAP!! jk

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by galantman03 View Post
    NO SH*T!!!??? Totally awesome!!! need info on your build thread SPD_FRK, lol ASAP!! jk
    Just click the "Project BlackHeart" link in my sig, until I get all the information compiled together for this fix, all of the current info can be found in the "ECU Swap Disccusion" link also in my sig. I will work on compiling everything tonight when I get home and post up here as well as updating the original thread on GT too.

www.blackheartmotors.net

Who's the man? Matt's the man!! Talk about saving the 02-03 from not being swapped! I encourage people to now 5-speed swap their 02-03 no more excuses!!!

Congrats bro.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Icon14

Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover View Post
    Who's the man? Matt's the man!! Talk about saving the 02-03 from not being swapped! I encourage people to now 5-speed swap their 02-03 no more excuses!!!

Congrats bro.
    I'm about so do the swap in about a month... gotta get the tranny looked over... but before this, lol i was just going to pull the check engine light so it didn't bother me lol... We don't have emissions testing in SD, but now i can go ahead and do this now!! awesome! lol

Experienced TGC Member Galantfan88's Avatar
    Would this also work with the AEM EMS??? Im using an Evo AEM EMS and not sure if Im going to get it, so wondering if this would have to be done the same way for the people not using the stock ECU?

Awesome find!!! I can say you save alot of people out there with the 02 Galants

Evo 8 ECU / 5 Speed Swap / Fully Built Forged Motor
    Turbonetics Turbo T31 Stage 3 / RPW Stage 3 Camshaft

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Galantfan88 View Post
    Would this also work with the AEM EMS??? Im using an Evo AEM EMS and not sure if Im going to get it, so wondering if this would have to be done the same way for the people not using the stock ECU?

Awesome find!!! I can say you save alot of people out there with the 02 Galants
    Well a fulle standalone I am not sure would even be affect by any of this since it is basically a full ECU to program. Any piggy back system used on the 01-03 Galant ECUs will throw these codes simply because the ECU is looking for these solenoids.

If you have a 4 cyl, swapping to an Evo ECU is your best bet if you are goining boosted so you can run all the features of the Evo ROM, plus monitor knock and all of that, in addition the Evo ROM is setup for a manual transmission and won't even be looking for the valve body solenoids like the Galant's ECU does after swapping to a 5spd.

If you are staying N/a on your build, using the Galant's ECU is sufficient enough to flash and tune with and fixing the codes as we have found to now work, it's pointless to even spend the money on a stand alone or piggy back system.

www.blackheartmotors.net

so you are yanking your solenoids from your tranny?? Then you have a useless auto tranny laying around.. Theres no way to fake the the signals now that you have the solenoids you can voltage and resistance check whats going on to find out what you can do to by pass the solenoids altogether.. Its progress though good job.
    4g64DeT 1st evo ecu powered automatic (5 speed now baby)
    BIG 16G Boosted|custom dp|megan racing catback|Deleted Cat|stock dsm manifold|450cc Blues|190lph walbro|evo fuel rail + fpr|greddy type rs bov|evo uicp|Gen FMIC|Custom LICP|Evo cf hood|cf trunk|cyber body kit|motegi dp6 gunmetal 18"|AGXs|Tein S techs|14 psi |5 yrs boosted

Experienced TGC Member Galantfan88's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SPD_FRK View Post
    Well a fulle standalone I am not sure would even be affect by any of this since it is basically a full ECU to program. Any piggy back system used on the 01-03 Galant ECUs will throw these codes simply because the ECU is looking for these solenoids.

If you have a 4 cyl, swapping to an Evo ECU is your best bet if you are goining boosted so you can run all the features of the Evo ROM, plus monitor knock and all of that, in addition the Evo ROM is setup for a manual transmission and won't even be looking for the valve body solenoids like the Galant's ECU does after swapping to a 5spd.

If you are staying N/a on your build, using the Galant's ECU is sufficient enough to flash and tune with and fixing the codes as we have found to now work, it's pointless to even spend the money on a stand alone or piggy back system.
    Ok I see, so hopefuly it wont happen to me if your right. I already have the standalone in my hands which is the Evo AEM EMS. Thanx for letting me know man, this is some good shit you came with man two thumbs up

Evo 8 ECU / 5 Speed Swap / Fully Built Forged Motor
    Turbonetics Turbo T31 Stage 3 / RPW Stage 3 Camshaft

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnathansgalant View Post
    so you are yanking your solenoids from your tranny?? Then you have a useless auto tranny laying around.. Theres no way to fake the the signals now that you have the solenoids you can voltage and resistance check whats going on to find out what you can do to by pass the solenoids altogether.. Its progress though good job.
    Not many people are willing to buy a used auto transmission now days, you can always go to junkyard and pull these if you favor holding onto the auto trans, but then again you would already be 5spd so what's the point?

I already checked the solenoid information and found the resistance had to be between 2.5-3.x Ohms, and voltage was very low. That is why it puzzled me that the resistor approach didn't work. Our head trans builder here was even curious why it would work on 4 out of the 5 solenoids when each one is identical according to the stampings on them, as well as the parts books we had checked.

We will do some more checking at the individual terminals to get more specifics, and see about possibly bypassing the solenoids completely like you said, but then again this was a free and simple fix to a long on-going issue for many.

www.blackheartmotors.net

Quote Originally Posted by SPD_FRK View Post
    Thanks man, props go to Ivory8g (Marc) as well for allowing us to use his G as the test subject. We had a slight hickup with code P1751 (A/T Control Relay), only to find it was due to a faulty fuse. Rescanned and no longer seeing any of these codes thrown.

I will post up more details and photos later. We still ned to fab a box to house these solenoids, but all in all this is an issue that is "behind" us all now.
    I love you can I kiss you? 5spd next winter me thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover View Post

Congrats bro.
    Bah! Not enough gears for me!

...lmao not enough gears? better than the 4 found in the auto. evo tranny and awd swap it then lol.

anywhoo car is still running fine! BOOYAH!! test subject ftw lmao
    The "Tumbler" Is Here
    Stock Longblock/Stock PCM | Custom Garrett 50-1 | 17 Psi | Weighing 2xxxLbs
    3xxWHP/3xxWTQ [Current]

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    Bah! Not enough gears for me!
    Better than squeezing a 6th gear into the same housing and decreasing the input shaft size...

smaller shafts= breaks

Still a 6spd would be nice for a extremely mild daily driver, but not worth the money if you push for more.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivory8g View Post
    ...lmao not enough gears? better than the 4 found in the auto. evo tranny and awd swap it then lol.

anywhoo car is still running fine! BOOYAH!! test subject ftw lmao
    I still cannot believe it was that simple to resolve.

www.blackheartmotors.net

I can't believe nobody thought about this before including myself. LOL
    The "Tumbler" Is Here
    Stock Longblock/Stock PCM | Custom Garrett 50-1 | 17 Psi | Weighing 2xxxLbs
    3xxWHP/3xxWTQ [Current]

i saw in the manual its looking for a voltage like 9 for some and 12v for others so i dont know if its looking for resistance or voltage instead.. but i understand what you mean about trannys being sold..
    4g64DeT 1st evo ecu powered automatic (5 speed now baby)
    BIG 16G Boosted|custom dp|megan racing catback|Deleted Cat|stock dsm manifold|450cc Blues|190lph walbro|evo fuel rail + fpr|greddy type rs bov|evo uicp|Gen FMIC|Custom LICP|Evo cf hood|cf trunk|cyber body kit|motegi dp6 gunmetal 18"|AGXs|Tein S techs|14 psi |5 yrs boosted

Experienced TGC Member
    i saw in the manual its looking for a voltage like 9 for some and 12v for others so i dont know if its looking for resistance or voltage instead.. but i understand what you mean about trannys being sold..
    Where in the FSM did you find this? All I found so far was a code for the solenoids woul be thrown if there is less than 2.7W for less than 0.32 seconds. I have to meet up with Marc again here soon to do more multimeter readings and stuff to take this to the next step, so once I do that I will have more information posted up

www.blackheartmotors.net

maybe the ecu is looking for both resistance and voltage.... i know on the aircraft that i work on, there are TONS of systems that work because the logic is satisfied for both the voltage and resistance requirements...