The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: aftermarket headunit does not work

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

aftermarket headunit does not work

hey guys, i dont own a galant so i need your help. I was helping my friend install an aftermarket headunit in his 2002 galant yesterday. This is not my first time installing these things so I know how to do it. I wired everything up correctly, but it would not power on. I checked the fuses under the hood, behind the headunit, and the ones near the drivers side door. Everything seemed to be in place and not blown, but on the fusebox by the drivers side door...you could see the words "radio" printed onto the fusebox but there was no fuse there. It looked like there was suppose to be one of those big 12v fuses? but nothing was there. I tried taking other 12v fuses from other slots to put it in there temporarily to see if that solves the problem, but nothing worked. Hope someone could shed some light on this.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    did you disconnect the battery before installing the stereo?

Quote Originally Posted by IVORY_G View Post
    never pull out, always squeeze inside! LOL!

Yes I did, but does it make a difference?

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    Do the dome lights work?

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    #1- was the stock radio working.

#2 on the 8g you do not hook up any of the orange wires...it automatically gets illumination

if theres still any problems refer to jeffs post

was it grounded correctly? getting enough power to power the head unit?

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

dome lights work. he got the car for free and its pretty beat up so i wouldnt be surprised if his stock radio didn't work prior to this. and i grounded the black wire to one of the bolts behind the stereo.

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Run some wires from the battery directly to the back of the stereo, if power still doesn't come on, then you know the radio is the problem.

You hook up the yellow wire on the aftermarket radio harness to the red/white wire in the car harness.
    The red wire on the radio to the blue wire in the car
    and the black wire to chassis ground.
    with just these three wires hooked up the radio should turn on.
    did you check the wires with a test light?
    the red white wire should show power with the car off.
    the blue wire should show power when you turn the key to accessory.
    did you cut the harness?
    does the speedometer still work?
    your vss wire is in the radio harness.
    the speakers are:
    LF:White/blue black/blue
    RF:white/red black/red
    LR:yellow/blue gray/blue
    RRyellow/red gray/red

blacks and gray's are negative.
    You can get power right at the column if you want from the underdash. Just make sure you use a fuse holder. 10 amp fuse with 16 guage wire should be fine.
    Blue/yellow is your constant 12 volts (yellow wire on aftermarket radio)
    Blue/red is your accessory wire (red wire on aftermarket radio)
    these colors are based on a 2003 galant if your colors dont match pm me the year of the car and I will send you the appropriate wire color information.

Experienced TGC Member fliegendaffe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by minesbroken View Post
    You hook up the yellow wire on the aftermarket radio harness to the red/white wire in the car harness.
    The red wire on the radio to the blue wire in the car
    and the black wire to chassis ground.
    with just these three wires hooked up the radio should turn on.
    did you check the wires with a test light?
    the red white wire should show power with the car off.
    the blue wire should show power when you turn the key to accessory.
    did you cut the harness?
    does the speedometer still work?
    your vss wire is in the radio harness.
    the speakers are:
    LF:White/blue black/blue
    RF:white/red black/red
    LR:yellow/blue gray/blue
    RRyellow/red gray/red

blacks and gray's are negative.
    You can get power right at the column if you want from the underdash. Just make sure you use a fuse holder. 10 amp fuse with 16 guage wire should be fine.
    Blue/yellow is your constant 12 volts (yellow wire on aftermarket radio)
    Blue/red is your accessory wire (red wire on aftermarket radio)
    these colors are based on a 2003 galant if your colors dont match pm me the year of the car and I will send you the appropriate wire color information.
    or how about you don't tape into the factory wires and just buy the harness for a couple bucks?!

to the OP, hook the yellow and red wire to your battery and black to ground just to see if it turns on. if it turns on, check your fuses. if your fuses are fine, get a dmm to check to see if your 12v and acc wire in the stock harness are getting proper voltage. if one of these wires doesn't get proper voltage, then you need to run a different wire to the corresponding spot. you can normally find a new 12v and acc at the steering column, but make sure you put an inline fuse if you have to go this route.

Quote Originally Posted by fliegendaffe View Post
    or how about you don't tape into the factory wires and just buy the harness for a couple bucks?!

to the OP, hook the yellow and red wire to your battery and black to ground just to see if it turns on. if it turns on, check your fuses. if your fuses are fine, get a dmm to check to see if your 12v and acc wire in the stock harness are getting proper voltage. if one of these wires doesn't get proper voltage, then you need to run a different wire to the corresponding spot. you can normally find a new 12v and acc at the steering column, but make sure you put an inline fuse if you have to go this route.
    I already covered that dude.
    Wire for wire, colors, location, the whole 9.
    I figured he already cut the harness since he already hooked it up and it wasn't working.
    whats your problem anyway?