The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Question RE: radiator support spot welds / replacement

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Question RE: radiator support spot welds / replacement

So, I finally got a new radiator support, and I'm gearing up to put it in.

My question is this: can I just rivet/bolt the new support in place, or is that just stupid?

There are like 38 spot welds holding the thing in. Once I drill the welds out, I'm planning to rivet the ones around the fender attachments, and use stainless bolt hardware and threadlocker on the attachments to the frame rails.

I don't think I'm messing with the frame/structure enough to significantly affect the impact damping/absorbing properties of the front end, and I'm not interested in making this a proper show car (i.e. I don't need a cosmetically perfect engine bay).

Am I okay with rivets/bolts, or is it critical that I get a MIG welder and do it that way?
    2000 Mitsubishi Galant (totalled by semi, RIP)

2000 Mitsubishi Galant - Bought off Craigslist, received organ donation from last one:
    - Engine/5spd trans/interior/suspension/brakes/etc. all moved from old car
    - 5spd | Outlander IM | StopTech BBK | Defi VSD-X HUD

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    The structure of the front end will be compromised in an front end collision and probably do more damage because the rivets will not hold up to a frontal impact as spot welds will. Pay someone 100 bucks and let them weld it back in Your car, your decision though.

I'm not worried about front end integrity, I'm just worried about not increasing the impact transferred to the passenger compartment.

2000 Mitsubishi Galant - Bought off Craigslist, received organ donation from last one:

Quote Originally Posted by charris View Post
    I'm not worried about front end integrity, I'm just worried about not increasing the impact transferred to the passenger compartment.
    I'd would do what RAZ said.. pay someone to weld it on.. its better being safe then sorry!

Hmm. Ya, I think I'll just have a shop here do it. I'm still a novice with the welder, and I know a good place.

Thanks, guys.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Good idea. Let a shop do it. If you were to do it yourself, you would want to align the support on the car, shoot a few self tapping screws into it once you think you have it aligned, hang your sheet metal, put the headlights, grille and bumper on and check the lines, once your happy with the lines. Then weld the support in place. If you do it yourself using a regular mig, drill out all the spot welds, and drill out the spot areas on the new support and do a plug weld to attach it to the car. Once you plug weld all of them, grind the welds down smooth and then prime it. However, like Raz said, probably a better idea to let the shop do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

... especially since I've never done plug welds before :P