The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Gargling noise at startup...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 31 of 31
    sounds like a fuel pump problem or even a mass air flow senswor problem i had a n old subaru that did that and could not figure out what in the world the problem was untill then , the gargling noise sounds like the feeder tube to the bottom of the tank or some air is getting out or you have a short in the pump or fuel line circuit .where are you in florida ? I am in ocala.any meets soon?

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by silversurfer View Post
    sounds like a fuel pump problem or even a mass air flow senswor problem i had a n old subaru that did that and could not figure out what in the world the problem was untill then , the gargling noise sounds like the feeder tube to the bottom of the tank or some air is getting out or you have a short in the pump or fuel line circuit .where are you in florida ? I am in ocala.any meets soon?
    Im in west palm beach now. Im down here vacationing. Ima try to wait until i get back home to finally solve this damn problem.

i have the same exact problem. i hear mine near the dashboard, in the engine bay once in a while when i start up the engine. took it to the shop today and they said most likely air inside the cooling system. can't be anything else that moves that much fluid around.

also recently after driving around a while and stopping at an intersection or in a drive thru at mcdonalds, the engine temp slowly increases. only way i can decrease the temp is by accelerating, or by putting it on neutral with a foot on the brakes and the other on the gas. could possibly be the water pump? letting air bubbles form inside my cooling system and unable to circulate water when idle?

(currently at the shop because needs a new water pump and timing belt.) 105K and timing belt has a crack in it. i was so close to getting it snapped. lucky me.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nitropower7 View Post
    i have the same exact problem. i hear mine near the dashboard, in the engine bay once in a while when i start up the engine. took it to the shop today and they said most likely air inside the cooling system. can't be anything else that moves that much fluid around.

also recently after driving around a while and stopping at an intersection or in a drive thru at mcdonalds, the engine temp slowly increases. only way i can decrease the temp is by accelerating, or by putting it on neutral with a foot on the brakes and the other on the gas. could possibly be the water pump? letting air bubbles form inside my cooling system and unable to circulate water when idle?

(currently at the shop because needs a new water pump and timing belt.) 105K and timing belt has a crack in it. i was so close to getting it snapped. lucky me.
    Nah mines is def the fuel pump. This morning i started her up, and heard that gargling noise. Then my rpms started bouncing between 800 and 500. The engine was also running a little rough. This whole ordeal lasted for about 30 seconds and then went away. However, i noticed that when i come to a sudden stop, the rpms dip below 500 but bounce right back to about 800.

Experienced TGC Member
    Ok i need some help to get a final diagnosis....

This morning while driving along at 45mph, i was approaching a red light so i proceeded to brake. However i slowed down to about 30mph when the light turned green. So i stepped on the gas pedal. When i did that, the car started jumping and coming to a near stall. As i applied the gas, the rpms still stayed put, almost as if i was just coasting along. On the way home from work, i took a right turn. And then proceeded to accelerate. I then had to slow down because of a car making a turn, when i stepped on the gas again, the car jumped and started to come to a near stall. I let off the gas, and then stepped on the pedal again, and got the same result. I also noticed that the rpms remained around 1500 even though i was pressing on the gas pedal.

Is this my fuel pump taking a shit on me? Ive got about 125k on my Galant. And if this is my fuel pump, would i be able to replace the OEM pump with an aftermarket/performance pump for around the same price? Im thinking about picking up some fuel system cleaner and trying that to see if maybe i have a clog in the system.

Sorry to bring an old post back to life guys, but did anyone ever get a proper diagnosis on this? Air in the cooling system, or dying fuel pump? I'm doing a coolant flush in the morning, but I"m still curious... I've had the gargling noise for the last 20,000 miles.

'03 Galant LS V6

Gotta question what is the lifter tick caused by and can it be fixed?

G57 Dont hate me because you dont know me

I know this topic has been covered before. My car always makes a little noise right at start up, and I haven't had any problems with the cooling system, fuel delivery system, or anything else. I've diagnosed it myself as just the fluids starting to move when the engine is turned on.

If you haven't had any problems in 20,000 miles, I doubt you have any serious things going on.

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

Quote Originally Posted by harper57 View Post
    Gotta question what is the lifter tick caused by and can it be fixed?
    There are many threads about this. Did you try searching?

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/sear...earchid=745642

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

I completley forgot I could do that still getting used to the site

G57 Dont hate me because you dont know me

You are here entirely tooo much!! Corey2kG's Avatar
    i have a similar problem i was suppose. but with mine when i start it up my rpm usually goes up around 1800(v6) when i get the noise which is coming from the engine compartment my rpm would go up around 1100 at start up and you could here the noise it goes away after about 6 seconds or faster if i rev it a little. but it ONLY happens on occasion.

FreakyDeaky

Quote Originally Posted by sponcar View Post
    Always remember "do you, not them" cuz thats what make you different than others :)
    2kG 6g72/74 5 speed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12