The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Recently bought a Galant... Where to start?

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

Recently bought a Galant... Where to start?

Hey, I've got an '03 Galant GTZ with 130k miles. The roof is kind of dented, there are fine, small scratches all over the fenders, doors, etc., the grille pieces are broken(driver side one is, at least) and the part of the front bumper cover with the Mitsubishi logo moves freely.

Something rattles when I go around a corner or hit a bump. My engine bay is really, REALLY dirty. Grime and stuff makes the engine completely gross looking. I'm missing bolts or screws or something for the air intake(?) so it wiggles. I'm missing the windshield fluid sprayers.

One of my tails is screwed up, or the trunk is screwed up, because one tail sticks out farther than the other.

Yeah. I've got a few problems. I basically want to keep this car for awhile, as I really like it and I don't exactly have the funds for a new car. I want to clean the Galant up as best I can, and change what needs to be changed. The only thing is, I don't know what to do. I forgot to mention that I have a dent in the rear passenger door, and the paint is sun faded and the clear coat is coming off in places.

Must be the Kalapana Black color. Sorry to hear of the condition of the car, even being a 2003, even with the mileage. But you should start by of course cleaning the exterior, interior, and engine bay. You need to start with a clean base.

For the exterior I use:

Eagle One Car Wash Concentrate
    Mothers Clay Bar
    Eagle One Aluminum Wheel Cleaner
    Zaino Polish/Wax

Interior I use:

Blue Coral Upholstery and Carpet Cleaner
    Eagle One Leather Cleaner (because I also have a GTZ with Leather seats).
    Eagle One Leather Conditioner
    ZEP Cleaning Wipes (mostly for in between major cleanings).

I never, ever, use Armor All, or any of their products. I've seen to many issues with them.

The engine bay I use:

Toothbrush
    Engine Gunk Engine De-greaser (white bottle, orange cap)
    Battery Cleaner (or just baking soda and water).

You can also search online for more detailed articles to help you through all your efforts in getting to a good starting point...such as.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2038963_remo...ars-paint.html

As for the other problems? Have you or had a mechanic inspect the car physically yet? If not, do so, that may help you solve the noise immediately. Other things to do is the regular service interval recommendations. Change the spark plugs, pcv valve, air filter, oil and oil filter, transmission fluid flush, coolant flush, brake fluid flush (even if the pads and rotors are ok).

Then you can tackle anything else that comes up, and good luck, welcome to TGC!!

My 2 cents...change your timing belt if it hasn't been done recently if you want to keep your engine.

Ooh, wow. Thanks for the detailed response, man. I actually have the Sterling Silver, though; why'd you guess black?

I need to take it in and get everything checked out, but there really aren't any good places to go where I am. The nearest mechanics shop is owned by a relative. The nearest one other than him is probably 40 miles. And he's not really a good mechanic. :/

Experienced TGC Member Bloody Arro's Avatar
    ^ The black 8Gs are BAD about the sun damage (cancer).

Quote Originally Posted by Blue8g View Post
    And fwd grocery fetters are fun, you wouldn't be on this forum if you didn't agree
    Quote Originally Posted by 8thLS6 View Post
    Tuning to me is like magic... I don't understand it but it makes things happen lol

I didn't know the black ones were particularly worse. My Galant came from Phoenix, AZ, so I can understand the heat and sun. It's in Nebraska, now. I really wish there was a cheap way to make the paint not look so horrible.

Experienced TGC Member Bloody Arro's Avatar
    Might as well go JDM or USDM aftermarket since you're looking to paint the car. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue8g View Post
    And fwd grocery fetters are fun, you wouldn't be on this forum if you didn't agree
    Quote Originally Posted by 8thLS6 View Post
    Tuning to me is like magic... I don't understand it but it makes things happen lol

Click here

Thats the thread I started when I bought mine. Granted its a different model and year but the majority still applies.

Hope that helps.
    2000 ES 4G64 ~ Bridgeston Potenza 205/60/15 ~ K&N Typhoon intake/filter ~ KYB GR2/Excel-G ~ CM Springs ~ V6 TB ~ STB OEM 3G Eclipse ~ Drilled Slotted Rotors ~ PrePaid Legal Sticker ~ Graco Car Seat