The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: strange clunking?

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14

strange clunking?

Has anyone experienced a clunking under the floorboards? I've checked the suspension and nothing is loose. I hear a clunk that occurs when I get off my driveway or sometimes when I let out the clutch I hear a distinct "clunk" coming from the floor by the center console/passenger side area. I thought it was the sway bar links at first, but they are fine. The ball joints are fine, as well as the tie-rods. I dont hear it any other time but when I get off my driveway or when the car flexes. I dont hear it while driving besides during the times that it will clunk when i let out the clutch. Again, it is coming from the floorboards and not the suspension/engine area... Anyone lowered on coilovers ever experience this?
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

I have the same thing, to me it sounds like the exhaust is shaking... still need to examine

- If you've got nothing nice to say, what the hell is wrong with you!?!

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    I had this on my old 8g, its the exhaust flex pipe section, its probably all beat up and worn out.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    exhaust sounds reasonable. If you don't have poly mounts and your stock mounts are all beat up, when you let off the clutch there's going to be a lot of engine movement

Quote Originally Posted by beam514 View Post
    exhaust sounds reasonable. If you don't have poly mounts and your stock mounts are all beat up, when you let off the clutch there's going to be a lot of engine movement
    where can i get the mounts?

Experienced TGC Member 02redgalant's Avatar
    sounds like mounts.. check the front and rear for any cracks or missing rubber

I think Brian has got it in the bag because my exhaust flexpipe is not in the prettiest condition... Though I should prolly check the mounts as well. I just dont understand why mounts will make noises under the floor in the car.

I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover View Post
    I think Brian has got it in the bag because my exhaust flexpipe is not in the prettiest condition... Though I should prolly check the mounts as well. I just dont understand why mounts will make noises under the floor in the car.
    Neither is my flexpipe, infact it is quite scrapped up. My problem is the coilovers, you should check your spring preload, and the mounts too.

i have the same thing... even after the tranny swap and new motor mounts... its gotta be the exhaust..

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

Experienced TGC Member
    Mine makes lots of funny noises lololololol
    03 ES 5spd--Rota torque gloss black 17x8 et. 35--Hankook Ventus V12 evo 235/45/17--D2 coilovers--DC Sports STB--Intake--Brembo calipers--Powerslot Rotors--Stoptech Pads--SS brakes lines--35% tint--5k heads & 5k fogs--Alpine headunit--Kicker 400w amp--Alphasonix sub

Could worn sway bar bushings make this kind of clunk/pop? I just went under the car and checked everything again and everything looks fine and no play in the tie-rod ends or ball joints.

Though I noticed the sway bar bushings have seperated in the middle. The part where you would slip the bushing over the sway bar, they arent closed and touching anymore. Could this be the issue?

the swaybar bushings should only do it when you turn, not when letting off of load
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Can anyone recommend good exhaust mounts, i'm pretty sure my clunking sound comes from the megan catback i just installed, it shakes pretty wild

Quote Originally Posted by djakay View Post
    Can anyone recommend good exhaust mounts, i'm pretty sure my clunking sound comes from the megan catback i just installed, it shakes pretty wild
    if the stock rubber hangers are worn out, you can get new ones from the dealer for like $8 each, or the universal ones at autozone, if you want a realy tight fit, find some rubber hose at napa or autozone that fits snug over the metal exhaust hanger rod, slip the hose over the rod, cut it, and then put it into the rubber hanger, it will remove the slack.
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS