The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: advice before i start (Ground Controls)

Showing results 1 to 19 of 19

advice before i start (Ground Controls)

Alright guys, I just got my ground controll coilovers the other day, and im looking for any last minute advice before I attempt to install these bad boys. I was originally going ot take them in to have them done, untill i found out they wanted $300 just for the install! Anyways, im going to Napa to buy a spring compressor, and I have the galant service manual handy - other than that, I really dont have a clue as to what im getting into. So if anyone has some last minute advice before I start working on them, I would REALLY appreciate it. And maybe someone has a tutorial? Thanks in advance guys!

Dilemma
    alrighty...

Parts needed:

Jack stand
    Spring compressor
    Air drill power tool (forgot what its called.
    2?mm socket (forgot but its big)
    16mm socket
    17mm socket
    14mm socket
    12mm socket
    allen wrecnch (for front stablizer bar)
    WD-40 or some kind of lube

I cant stress how you need that air drill. its a lot of work to unscrew those most likely rusty bolts.

Front strut removal is pretty basic but the most difficult. Once the tire is removed then proceed to remove the two big screws with bolts behind the rotors. Again this is where power tools come in. Just above the bolts is the stablizer bar. Utilizer your allan wrench and a 14mm wrench and release that bad boy out. then there is a 12mm bolt attaching the brake line to the strut and release that. After that pop your hood and release the three bolts (14mm) release the strut into freedom.

repeat on other side

As for the back...

remove the rear seating panel. First by removing and pulling the tabs for the lower seat. then proceed with 12mm socket to remove 4 bolts connecting the uppper panel. Before you wedge the seat out proceed to snap out the lock for the fold-down section of the seat (in the trunk). Wedge the seat out unlocking the rear shocks. remove the tire and look behind the rear shock there is another 20+ mm scew there unlock that and unscrew the interior bolts holding the shocks in place. once released attempt to wedge the shock+spring out of there. I used to bar to wedge down my rear brake drums to allow clearance for the shock.
    Repeat with other side..

Now that all of your springs shocks are out. Proceed to place the spring compresser on. Place the tabs at any point on the top and bottom the the spring. In my case the 17 socket was used to compress the spring. compress the spring until the spring is noticably smaller and then proceed to unscrew the top bolt holding the top to the strut/shock. Get that bolt out. remove the strut shock away from the spring and place your coilovers on...MAKE SURE PLACEMENT CORRESPONDS TO THE GROOVES.

repeat until you get all your coilovers on.
    Put everyhthng back together

Hope this was helpful I hope i dont mislead you in anyway. If there any errors someone correct me.

wow. i had NO idea it was that much work. THank god i got some help first. Ok, sounds like alot of work. Im a complete newb. THink i will be able to handle this with some help form a friend? Or should I actually consider taking it in...?

Black Magic
    i did the install my self with my obx coilovers and agx's. as long as you have the right tools and info it is very easy!!! this was my first time too!!! i got a whole lot of very intrucstional pics that i had developed complamaints of Cali those pics helped me out alot during the install. if you want them let me know!!!

yeah man if you could get me those pics it would help so much! i would really appreciate it..

Now, i heard that if you adjust the height of the coilovers, it needs an alignment EVERY time? Is that true?

Black Magic
    not every time just once after the install.. ill pm you about the pics later!!

Damn 300 bucks. I got mine installed for 195 total!! Shop around that sounds really expensive
    2001 Galant I4 Dover Pearl

Mods:
    Injen CAI
    GC Coilovers
    18x8.5 ADR M-Classics
    225/40HR Kumho Ectsa Supra's
    Nokya H4 Headlights
    Clear Corners
    Reverse Indiglo Guages

Soon to Come...
    Apexi N-1 Exhaust
    x2 JL Audio W6 Subs

Dilemma
    My install was FREE . The best way to do these things is by yourself. IMO

ewgiii
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dilemma)</div><div class='quotemain'>My install was FREE . The best way to do these things is by yourself. IMO</div>
    " DRINK BY MYSELF, SMOKE BY MYSELF, JUST ADDED SUSPENSION BY MY GOSH DARN SELF!!!! FOR REAL THO?" "ALL BY MYSELF!!!"

Dilemma
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ewgiii)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dilemma)</div><div class='quotemain'>My install was FREE . The best way to do these things is by yourself. IMO</div>
    " DRINK BY MYSELF, SMOKE BY MYSELF, JUST ADDED SUSPENSION BY MY GOSH DARN SELF!!!! FOR REAL THO?" "ALL BY MYSELF!!!"</div>

w00t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah 300 from one place, and another place wanted 500, and i dont think they knew wtf they were talking about either..

Dilemma
    Seriously...Find a friend to help you out. Rent out some tools if you need to.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Spy)</div><div class='quotemain'>yeah man if you could get me those pics it would help so much! i would really appreciate it..

Now, i heard that if you adjust the height of the coilovers, it needs an alignment EVERY time? Â*Is that true?</div>

actually it is true. everytime you change the height of your coilovers you change the alignment making it necesssary to align again, so make sure your happy with your height as much as possible.

i didnt need no air tools. i've changed the suspension on 3 different g rides with nothing but good ol elbow grease.
    From Boost Addicts to Carbon Fanatics™ www.socalautowerks.com

Censee: Im trying to pimp some hoes for money for the lsd. 3/28/2011
    Cali: Sig 3/28/2011

im still kinda confused on removing the rear seat, and exactly what I have to do once removed - could someone explain this in detail for me? thanks in advance.

Dilemma
    To get to the rear struts you need to remove the back seats.

To remove the back seats start by pulling the two tabs on theactual seat then remove the bottom. There will be 4 screws holding the back portion of the seat in place. with a 12mm screw remove the bolts and slide the seat out.

yeah i get that, but thats it? I had to remove the seat to put in my 6x9's, but those bolts are all i need to remove? I thought they just held the seat down?

8ggalant
    ull see the the bolts (2) on top of where the struts are

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dilemma)</div><div class='quotemain'>2?mm socket (forgot but its big)
    </div>

24mm..it helps if ou have 2...or a big channel lock