The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Window wont go down

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18

Window wont go down

the right front window of my 8g wont go down its not the motor i have checked that, i have checked all the relays and fuses they are good, idk what else to do all my other windows work though

G57 Dont hate me because you dont know me

May be switch?

did you try both switches?

It could be the regulator. Does it make a cracking sound? Mine would go down about a 1/4 of the way down. Turned out that the cable had snapped.

yeah i got another switch from a junk yard i hope both wouldnt be bad... but when i put the new switch in i tried using the driver side door switch and the passenger switch to move it and neither would roll the window down; but the master switch on the driver door will still control all the other switches

Experienced TGC Member glantv699's Avatar
    My front driver's side won't go up! I know the regulator is functional because it will go auto down no problem. I thnk the motor is bad in one direction (if that's even possible??). I'm at a loss, and it makes me angry because I love driving with the windows down.

> TGCPA - SOUTHEAST
    > 2010 Evolution X SE #183 of 340 (1 of 54 in Octane Blue)
    > 1999 ES V6 (Sold 2/2011)

My window wont go down period. Idk what the heck is wrong when I plug in the window switch for the passenger switch it sounds like the window always wants to roll up so idk what's in the switch that it wants to send a signal to the motor to roll up

Hey Harper, I'm in the same boat as you right now. I have an '03 GTZ and my RF window stopped working a while ago- like last fall. Not being able to roll the window down wasn't too much of a concern during the winter but now that it's heating up I want to roll them down.
    Hopefully some of this info will help shed light for you. I'm still a bit stumped about what's wrong with mine.
    Also, apologies for how long this is- I'm hoping someone who knows more than I do can read into all these details and come up with a solution that works.
    Last fall, my window slowly went out. It didn't stop overnight- basically I was rolling it down when it slowed down and eventually stopped moving about halfway down. I was able to move it up the rest of the way slowly over the next couple of days and left it alone until I could afford a fix.
    Over the winter I found out there was actually a recall on the RF switch. So I took it into the dealership where they checked it out- and told me the problem was with my regulator, not the switch. They quoted the fix at a few hundred so I figured I'd just do it on my own and save a few hundred in labor costs.
    I bought a replacement regulator and basically swapped it out (used a Haynes guide for reference). When I connected the power, the arm immediately moved all the way up (like you described in your last post- how it wants to roll up) and would not move after that. I'm not an expert when it comes to wiring and electrical stuff; what I gathered was that this means that it is receiving power and the motor/regulator is capable of moving the window, but a the relay is malfunctioning.
    If anyone reading this with more knowledge than me can tell me if this is correct thinking or not, I would appreciate. I am currently trying to follow the wires (GRN/BLK and RED/BLK for my window) and find the relay, replace it and hopefully return the regulator I bought.
    So if anyone knows where in the car I can find the correct relay, that is my next move. It looks like I may have to remove the dash trim to comfortably reach it and replace it as I can't find the right wires by just removing the glovebox and lower trim.
    And Harper- if you are considering trying to swap out the regulator on your own like I did- DON'T! When I plugged the regulator back into the power source without the glass attached the arm went up higher than where the glass would sit. Basically, because I can't move the arm back down it means that I could either (a) attach the regulator assembly to the door but leave the glass unattached, or (b) attach the glass and tape the regulator assembly to the inside of the door. I did option b, but either option sucks.
    Of course, we may not have the exact same problem and swapping the regulator out may work with yours, but it sounds like we're in the same boat.
    If I figure out what the fix is I'll be sure to post it here. Good luck to you.
    -Andy

Andy if you take the regulator and get 2 wires with Gator clips attached to each end and put the Gator clips in the regulator piece (the white plastic thingy) and then attach the other or touch the other end to your battery terminals the motor will go down you can then take the motor put it in your door attach it then put your window in and attach it while Its down then plug it into the switch and will roll your window up and you will have a closed window u til you can figure it out with your wires I know this will work because that's what i did so incase it rained :) and the 3 relays in the fuse box under your Hood that control the windows I'd replace them all (I will do that since you were talking bout the bad relays and stuff figured you could try it)

I swapped out the relays in the car- no change. Still can't get it to work.
    Unfortunately it looks like I'm just going to have to take the car in. Damn it all!!
    Good luck with yours, harper. I think I'm giving up, ha.
    -Andy

damn did you check for crossed wires in the rubber boot on the driver door and passenger door?

03BlackGTZ
    Has anyone been able to find a solution for this ?? I have tried... the drivers master switch, the passenger switch, the window motor/regulator... and the window still only goes up... nothing seems to work..

Quote Originally Posted by 03BlackGTZ View Post
    Has anyone been able to find a solution for this ?? I have tried... the drivers master switch, the passenger switch, the window motor/regulator... and the window still only goes up... nothing seems to work..
    i havent solved it im going to take it to a guy and see what he says ill keep you updated

I do have the same problem. Bought a regulator/motor from eBay and thought it was a defective one so the seller sent me another one and it did the same thing. I noticed the motor went hot so it could probably something wrong in the wiring (malfunctioning).

Andy, how much did the dealer quoted you to fix it? Assuming my original regulator/motor still works, now I do have 3 working window motors/regulators :S.

I finally brought my car to my local auto service and they found out that my switch has gone bad. They said my motor and regulator is working OK(they rolled my regulator arm down so they screwed the glass back into the regulator). @harper think you may have bought a defective switch from the junk yard? Now I have 2 regulators/motors from ebay. I'll be listing them up for sale shortly :D.

If the master switch is bad you will keep throwing passenger side switches on it because the current flows through the master switch first before the pass side does. Also, it is possible for one button on the master to go bad, so I would grab a master switch from a working car and see if it works.

I would also recheck all the connections, sounds like the premanent magnet motor is not switching polarity to make it go up and down.

Also check all the window tracks and mechanical arms. Make sure it is not binding up somewhere.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Quote Originally Posted by jhendra83 View Post
    I finally brought my car to my local auto service and they found out that my switch has gone bad. They said my motor and regulator is working OK(they rolled my regulator arm down so they screwed the glass back into the regulator). @harper think you may have bought a defective switch from the junk yard? Now I have 2 regulators/motors from ebay. I'll be listing them up for sale shortly :D.
    which switch had gone bad hendra?

I am having the same issue on my 8g. Bought a new motor/regulator, installed it, before i put the glass in, i rolled the window up to see if it was functioning. Well it rolled up too high to put the glass back in. Window doesnt roll down however when I try to roll it up, I can hear the motor trying to roll up. I havent tried to replace the switches yet.

The old and new motor soulds like it wants to roll up but not down.
    Ive taken the old motor apart and manually rolled it down to put the glass back in then I manually rolled it back up.
    Im now missing one plastic peice that holds the glass to the regulator.

Can anyone else confirm if its actually a broken switch? And if so, the passenger switch or the master switch? All other switches work and the master switch works for all but the passerger front.

Thanks