The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: to keep or not to keep?

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

Icon5 to keep or not to keep?

I have a 99 v4 galant, which is my first car, and i really like it. Although this car is proving to be a bit of a challenge. After I bought this car I hit rock bottom economically, I got it for 1700, but so far spent 150$ fixing it, and 500$+ to go. why? because i gotta replace/take care the following:

-Engine mounts
    -Tie rods
    -tires [17 215/45 = 300$+ expense]
    -intake manifold
    -alignment
    -front light bulbs
    -broken headlight switch
    -disintegrating steering wheel

Now, I can fix all this slowly but im afraid more stuff may come up later on. What you guys think i should do?

Experienced TGC Member OMEGA PHX's Avatar

Your car engine is I4, not v4,

1) For every part search through the forum to find goo places to buy online and to save some money

2) For tires look for some price quotes around your area, try brands like Wanli, Nankang and research through the forum for other good brand that aren't that expensive

3) Intake manifold search through the junkyards around your area, use this site: http://car-part.com/ enter the info and zip code and it'll get the junkyards on your area that have the part especified.

4) For the alignment there no way around it, after installing installing the tie rods and tires get it.

5) Front light bulbs are cheap.

6) Headlight switch, check junkyards.

7) The steering wheel in my opinion it can wait, if you have the airbag it isn't that expensive.

In my point of view when you buy a used car, you should be prepared to spend some cash reconditioning it, Buy the parts that are essential for the car to run, and do some searching before buying to save some money when you can, but don't skimp in the quality of the parts, if you go with cheap stuff you'll regret. "You get what you pay for"
    Last edited by OMEGA PHX; 08-19-2010 at 12:20 PM

4g64T 5spd

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Like he said, you have I4 not V4, only V6 because the engine is shaped like a V. With that said, all those repairs you mentioned are easy fixes if you do them yourself. Can you do them yourself?? If not then it will get expensive.

Thanks guys,[and thanks for the v4/I4 correction] These do look like small fixes. This is also my first time fixing cars, but im naturally good at disassembling/assembling stuff, so its been easy-ish for me so far. I already change my valve cover gasket and belts. The only thing that worries me is to change the motor mounts and tie rods, due to lack of tools but i might get a friend to supply those if lucky.

PS
    -anyone knows a place where i can get "tire keys"? [if thats the correct term] when I got the car the bolts holding the tires are weird shaped and i was told that I need to find a KEY that would fit it best.

are you talking about wheel locks? u need a special tool to take the cover off before u get to lugs right?

http://www.brandsport.com/gorewhloke.html

this place seems to have a few kinds

If you need engine mounts go with polyurethane ones they're a whole lot better. As for the job its fairly easy. Just like you said assembling and reassembling but have fun getting the old metal ring out lol. If by tie rods you mean inner that's going to be tough..the outer ones just take the pin out unscrew the nut pop it out unscrew the tie rod itself and screw the other one back on. After that you are going to need an alignment even worse lol. For an alignment I suggest taking it somewhere and save yourself some sanity. Front light bulbs are easy also..take the rubber dust cover off, unplug the harness, unscrew the clip (make sure you see how it was on the bulb assembly first) take the light out put the new one in and repeat the steps in reverse order. As for the intake manifold and headlight switch I've never really dealt with that so I can't help you there. For the steering wheel get one from the junkyard. The tires possibly the junkyard or search and search and search as well as the other parts you need. You'll save yourself a lot of money dude. it might suck doing it yourself but you're learning more about your car and saving yourself some money. sorry I was a little vague but Hopefully I helped a little. Let us know your progress :)

I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this.

Thanks a lot you guys, it seems that i might have to pay a visit to my local junkyard.

Quote Originally Posted by Stepsascend View Post
    If you need engine mounts go with polyurethane ones they're a whole lot better. As for the job its fairly easy. Just like you said assembling and reassembling but have fun getting the old metal ring out lol.
    Those look really nice, but they look expensive. hopefully the price difference is not as much from the ones i can get at my local auto zone [65$], Also should I get the whole thing or just the "inserts"? and would the inserts fit in my stock mounts?

If by tie rods you mean inner that's going to be tough..the outer ones just take the pin out unscrew the nut pop it out unscrew the tie rod itself and screw the other one back on.
    Yeah I meant the outer tie rods, a mechanic told me that I would need some kind of fork tool to get the old ones out and then he told that he would install both for 70$.....buuuut I want to save money, so im still thinking.

After that you are going to need an alignment even worse lol. For an alignment I suggest taking it somewhere and save yourself some sanity. Front light bulbs are easy also..take the rubber dust cover off, unplug the harness, unscrew the clip (make sure you see how it was on the bulb assembly first) take the light out put the new one in and repeat the steps in reverse order.
    Sounds easy enough

As for the intake manifold and headlight switch I've never really dealt with that so I can't help you there. For the steering wheel get one from the junkyard. The tires possibly the junkyard or search and search and search as well as the other parts you need. You'll save yourself a lot of money dude. it might suck doing it yourself but you're learning more about your car and saving yourself some money. sorry I was a little vague but Hopefully I helped a little. Let us know your progress :)
    I dont know if I have to change that intake manifold just yet, but I just dont like that hissing air sound that appears to come from them. As for the rest, I CANT WAIt to go to the junkyard, I dont know....that place looks like fun for me , I want to take as many part as possible. this whole process will take a while since im not rich, but i will deff keep u guys updated since im still a n00b.

ehh You don't need a special tool for the outer tie rods. For the inner tie rods you do so you should be fine. You only need the inserts. I highly doubt the actual mounts are bad. You can find them on ebay and they will fit directly into your stock mounts.

I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this.

If you dont know what type of wheel locks are on your car your going to have to take the car to a wheel shop and have them remove them. You cant just look at them and guess because some are diff my .05mm and using the wrong key from the right company can either strip the locks or the key. Some Wheel locks are universal like tuner track locks so you can have the shop look and see if you have universal locks and sell you a key for them i pay 5-10 bucks a key here in NY. If you have acces to airtools/setup then you can get lock removers and just replace them with locks you have a key for. Your gonna need to get that settled first because you cant do any work that requires you to remove the tires like wheel rotate balance/alignment and tie rods.

ican get you a steering wheel, headlight switch, and intake manifold relatively cheap.

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

I'd say keep the g as those are easy fixes. my intake manifold had been cracked for over a yr and it has the rattle from the manifold when driving from first too second gear die to the fact that it has a crack.
    The 0ne & 0nly King D

You are here entirely tooo much!! 99 galant's Avatar
    that is nothing money wise. I still kick my self for how much I paid for my g.