The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Do our cars have an inline fuel filter?

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7
    BigJack

Do our cars have an inline fuel filter?

I've got a stock 2000 ES and I'm getting really bad gas mileage. It's got 38,000 miles on it so I figured I'd do a light tune up-ie: plugs, filters, pcv valve, oil. Well I've don it all but the fuel filter. I can't find it. Does anybody know where it is?

Senior TGC Member
    What do you mean by bad gas mileage? The Galant will usually achieve between 21 to 23 mpg under normal driving regardless of engine. If you're dipping below 20 mpg then I'd say you have bad gas mileage. To answer your question though the fuel filter is built in I think...non-servicable on these vehicles. At least, that's what my service techs told me.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

the fuel filter is indeed non-servicable.
    and even if it wasnt, its not responsable for a drop in milage.

however, chances are your poor milage is just typical. if you actually are running rich (or any other condition to drop your milage), your check engine light would probably come on, as you would be exceeding allowable emission levels.

BigJack
    Well every other car I've had I been told or read in the manual to change the fuel filter during regular tune ups and it can help gas mileage. I'm might be getting 20 mpg at best. Probably closer to 18 mpg. I've got no cel's and the car runs very smooth. It also idles where it should. Transission is fine, no slipping. I guess our cars are just geared really badly!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BigJack)</div><div class='quotemain'>Well every other car I've had I been told or read in the manual to change the fuel filter during regular tune ups and it can help gas mileage. I'm might be getting 20 mpg at best. Probably closer to 18 mpg. I've got no cel's and the car runs very smooth. It also idles where it should. Transission is fine, no slipping. I guess our cars are just geared really badly! </div>
    mitsu (and most other manufacturers) have dropped things like fuel filter replacement, as it adds to the "total cost of ownership", which is a REAL important number for potential buyers.
    but trust me, in 11 years of fixing mitsus, i have YET to actually find a filter that needed to be replaced, even on the older cars that were easily replacable.

BigJack
    All I know is that I've put a turbo in one car and a supercharger in another and both times it was recommended to change the fuel filter for better performance.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJack
    All I know is that I've put a turbo in one car and a supercharger in another and both times it was recommended to change the fuel filter for better performance.
    recommended for maintenence perhaps... but more performance just isnt going to happen.