The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: installing a headlight harness. how hard is this?

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

installing a headlight harness. how hard is this?

hey, so my left headlight has not been working for about 4 months now. and that's 4 months too long. I think the whole harness on the left side has burned out. cause no bulb works in it, and I've already replaced the end pieces once when they melted. so I'm planning on buying a new harness and hooking it up. has anyone done this. is is pretty much just plug in? I have no idea what to expect. just trying to figure out if it would be better to take it to a shop for this kind of thing? thanks guys

You can buy an HID harness off of Ebay for about $20 or so. It taps into the battery for power and has it's own relays. You just plug it into your existing headlight connectors, connect the hot lead to the battery and mount the relays somewhere convenient under the hood. It's a piece of cake to install. It will also eliminate future problems down the road.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Experienced TGC Member jimmy_o2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishboy55 View Post
    You can buy an HID harness off of Ebay for about $20 or so. It taps into the battery for power and has it's own relays. You just plug it into your existing headlight connectors, connect the hot lead to the battery and mount the relays somewhere convenient under the hood. It's a piece of cake to install. It will also eliminate future problems down the road.
    how can this work for him if his old wires dont even work

i wouldnt say its that hard its like wiring up a amp in ur car just make sure u got the right tools black tape and connectors and take ur time with it ull be fine
    03 I4

I've got one on my car, it's like Fishboy says, and plugs into one of the (OEM harness) headlight connector, for on/off and the high/low beam relays.

This might work for you using the side that does work. But if you've got a problem with your OEM harness, for piece of mind I'd recommend fixing that first, then if you need to, plug in your heavy duty harness.

Plus as our batteries are on the left, most aftermarket harnesses will be laid out to plug into the left OEM headlight connector on our cars (your broken one), you could easily change that, but then it's not going to be the straightforward plug in device you say you're looking for.

This is how they work, and are available for different head light bulb types -

Last edited by Gtsnapper; 10-21-2008 at 12:41 PM

i'll agree with chip too. you should be fine with a heavy duty harness. you might need to extend the male h4 connector to reach all the way to the passenger side but other than that, you should be fine. i used to make these harnesses but they've become so cheap on ebay.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy_o2 View Post
    how can this work for him if his old wires dont even work

i wouldnt say its that hard its like wiring up a amp in ur car just make sure u got the right tools black tape and connectors and take ur time with it ull be fine
    Because it only draws the hi/low signal from one side of the harness to power the relays and then that signal is common to both sides. Since one side of his stock harness works, so will the HID harness. I could draw you a schematic, but I don't see the point. How do I know this will work? Because I have exactly the same issue he does. I lost the ground on the passenger side and thanks to a couple of OG's bought the harness, fixed my wiring problem and have been running fine ever since.

FYI, black tape and TapNSqueeze connectors is not the way to make electrical connections unless you want them to fail in short order, especially on a circuit drawing 35W. Solder FTW!
    Last edited by Fishboy55; 10-21-2008 at 02:44 PM
    Chip

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Here's the harness you need. I was a little off with the pricing, but this beats having a shop do it, unless you can persuade Allen to build you one

Click Me
    Chip

Fishboy55's eBay recommendation:
    This is the one I bought last year, I've used it for 18k miles without any problems, no corrosion, and much more durable than the thin wires we have going to the headlights on our Galants.

The plastic yellow cover is quite loose, so you can easily stick your wire extensions through it, for the head lamp connector and keep it looking clean.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Gtsnapper; 10-21-2008 at 04:29 PM

ibtheoneny
    Is this harness meant to be used only with hids? Im just trying to fix my dim headlight problem. Thanks in advance

^ sounds like you having a negative ground issue