The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: What is involved?

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7
    TurboGalant

What is involved?

So for a valve job, what is involved?

Will I be messing with the camshaft at all?

Would this be a good time to change the timing belt and water pump at the same time? And put on my AEM Cam gear?

Re: What is involved?

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGalant
    So for a valve job, what is involved?

Will I be messing with the camshaft at all?

Would this be a good time to change the timing belt and water pump at the same time? And put on my AEM Cam gear?
    the head(s) needs to be removed, and totally disassembled. so yes, the cam(s), lifters, rockers, etc. all need to be removed.
    the head should then be sent to a QUALITY machine shop for them to properly repair it (and replace what may need to be replaced).

And this WOULD be a good time to replace the timing belt and water pump, as it will be apart anyway.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    ditto. 8)

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

TurboGalant
    How long should a machine shop take to do this? I was quoted for less than $100 (depending what all it needs - starts at $38 for real basic service). But they said it could take up to a week. Does that sound normal?

$100, hell no. It should be $300 minimum. Especially if you're going to get a 3 angle or 5 angle valve job.

for 100 bucks, all theyll probably do is resurface the deck.
    a GOOD valve job (including new guides and seats, if needed) will be anywhere from 300 to 500 bucks per head.

TurboGalant
    depending on how much has to be replaced, seals, guides, etc, the price will go up. the leak test runs $25.

went by this shop today at lunch, and saw some of their work. it is pretty much the only shop in town. They just have low prices, been in business for 15 years, local owned and operated (small town). Guess I just got lucky with this one.

Thanks for the responses.