The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 1999 galant 2.4 F4a42 trans 2-3 flare 3-4 flare

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6
    Brenthill

1999 galant 2.4 F4a42 trans 2-3 flare 3-4 flare

This vehicle originally had 2-3 flare only-all other gears work fine. Overhauled transmission-no clutch damage at all, completely resealed trans-did find o-ring on filter was pinched and pushed out, also the seal for the second clutch-that is under valve body was "rough", double checked all clearances-ok. Checked rear cover closely-looks ok and air tested fine on the bench. Replaced valve body also. Installed using Diamond SP fluid-now it still has 2-3 flare plus 3-4 flare, any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Brenthill
    Ok, I found that the vehicle had to be driven roughly 10 miles for the TCM to re-learn shift points-from a stop accelerate slowly through all 4 gears roughly five times, then half throttle and then full throttle-it shifts great now!

Quote Originally Posted by Brenthill View Post
    Ok, I found that the vehicle had to be driven roughly 10 miles for the TCM to re-learn shift points-from a stop accelerate slowly through all 4 gears roughly five times, then half throttle and then full throttle-it shifts great now!
    Yep it may do it from time to time for a week, it's adjusting to shift points and how you drive.

Brenthill
    Do you know of a way to pull codes from the TCM on this vehicle? I am told you have to use a Mitsubishi scanner-is this true? I have a Snap-On that communicates with the PCM ok but thats it. Thanks for any help you offer oakrdrs187!

I would try the snap-on, cant hurt.... is there CEL?
    Last edited by oakrdrs187; 02-25-2011 at 12:52 AM

Brenthill
    There is a CEL but it's not on....the Snap-on wont work for the TCM. From what I can gather on some models you can ground pin no.1 in the OBD2 connector and watch the
    "neutral" indicator on the instrument cluster for a flash-out code but this particular vehicle
    doesn't have the PRNDL in the i.c., its on the shifter.....just trying to be prepared for future vehicles I'll be working on-thanks!