The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 8G I4 Head Rebuild after timing belt snapped thread

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 39 of 39
    Current Status:

Reattach the heater core hoses (need to determine which goes where as replacements are not molded)

Determine where mystery hose goes. From what I can tell it is a hose that follows the fuel lines and has an inline filter of some sort. Any ideas where this goes?

Timing Belt!

Add coolant + oil

Pray

Start Engine!

Quick update, got it put back together somehow and it started!

Right now there are 3 things that are wrong though.

1. It vibrates more than it did before. If either of the balance shafts are off by a tooth would that cause it to be rougher? Or could this of been caused by the pistons hitting the valves?

2. There is a tiny water leak coming off the bottom timing cover. I guess this means I have to pull them and find out where it is coming from. I hope it is just the water pump.

3. I broke the tensioner for the power steering and ac belt. Is this something I can order or am I better off going to a junkyard? Is it going to be the same tensioner on the I4 and the V6? Right now I just used a block of wood on the pulley but it is not nearly tight enough.

Any more updates? Anyone else have anything to add?

Hopefully these issues are minor.

1.Are all mounts new?

2.If you had water leaking from the lower cover, my guess would be water pump.

3.I would go to the pick a part and find one. I am not sure if the v6 is the same as the i4.

Back from the dead!!!

Thanks for the reply. The mounts are original, however I know it wasn't this bad before because I didn't have the glove box rattle problem.

Another Update:

Somehow the oil pump shaft was off by a lot after realigning the timing so I can pull off the belt. That would account for the excessive vibrations.

I found another tensioner, on of all cars, a Dodge stratus.

The only place the water leak could be coming from is the water pump. I am wondering if the gasket just didn't set right because it has been so cold out recently.

Quote Originally Posted by gnaunited View Post
    Another Update:

The only place the water leak could be coming from is the water pump. I am wondering if the gasket just didn't set right because it has been so cold out recently.
    Once leaking though they normally dont stop. I would try hunting down the issue and fixing it before your on a long drive somewheres and it decides to let loose big time.

The weird thing is that it is a brand new pump with a brand new gasket. And the original leak was tiny, I barely even noticed it. Even after sitting for 2+ weeks the pile on the ground wasn't even that large. Considering it took less than half an hour this time to pull the timing belt then I would rather have it go completely so I know for a fact where it is coming from.

Another Update:

Somehow the oil pump shaft was off by a lot after realigning the timing so I can pull off the belt. That would account for the excessive vibrations.

I found another tensioner, on of all cars, a Dodge stratus.

so you do the screw driver method to lock the balance shaft in place and in phase. IF you didnt then most likely you'd get vibrations all the time even if you align the oil pump sprocket

The weird thing is that it is a brand new pump with a brand new gasket. And the original leak was tiny, I barely even noticed it. Even after sitting for 2+ weeks the pile on the ground wasn't even that large. Considering it took less than half an hour this time to pull the timing belt then I would rather have it go completely so I know for a fact where it is coming from.

Did you add a tiny layer of RTV on the water pump gasket, just to help it stay in place?
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Yep.

sooo, is it fixed... say some

Build Thread

Sorry about that:

The balance shaft timing mark was off considerably. I am still at a loss as to how that happened. Since I really don't want to have to do this again, I will be pulling the plug to check the alignment. The only worry I have is I think it might be behind the exhaust manifold.

The water pump did have rtv behind the gasket when it was installed.

the balance shaft alignment hole is behind the header, near the starter

Build Thread

Ok, the balance shaft belt was aligned properly, I guess it only hits the mark once every 4 or so rotations of the crankshaft. I found the plug, it was partly obscured by the exhaust manifold so I had to use a bolt from the upper cover that was long enough but smaller than the hole.

I am just going to let it idle for a while without any timing covers on to see where exactly it is leaking from.

Thanks for all the help.

Updates Again:

I found I had put way too much oil in when I filled it to the point where it was pouring out smoke from the tail pipe. I was pissed about this cause I thought something else happened from the last time I drove it around. After draining out the excess the smoke cleared up.

The excessive vibration is also gone, it is dring much smoother now.

Even after tightening down the water pump bolts, there is still a tiny leak coming from the water pump area. I cannot see exactly where it is coming from even with both timing covers off. The next step is too pull it and redo the gasket.

I should mention I am only able to work on it Sat & Sun cause I work and go to school during the week and plus it is sitting in a garage about 15+ miles from my house. But thanks to all who have offered their advice to help me along with this.

Well thats good the vibration is gone. Hopefully you just need a new gasket for the water pump.

Btw, how did your timing belt install go? Did the two special tools help out alot when you installed the front timing belt? I have yet to order mine. I was thinking about first trying like this other person did in another thread. Like using an allen key and some channel locks or something to put put tension on the tension pulley. Idk, I just might go ahead and order the special adapter tool.

Did you buy a new auto tensioner? Or did you have it compressed and a grenade pin or equivalent installed to it?

If you did have it compressed, was the other special tool (the long bolt that goes through the engine mount) still required?

The install was fairly easy. So far I have put it on twice, both times no problems.

The only special tool I got was MD998767, it is the one that swings the tensioner pully into place. It uses the smallest ratchet I have, but I did not have the torque wrench to fit it also so it was sort of pointless to order it.

I re-used the auto tensioner, compressing it in a vice. I would keep compressing it and it never seemed to move but eventually it was compressed enough to slide a small allen wrench though the outside and then through the post itself, then through the other side. Just make sure you don't go too far out the other side or else you won't be able to mount it properly.

I still have no clue what the other tool is for, the haynes manual did not call for it.

Quote Originally Posted by John165 View Post
    Well thats good the vibration is gone. Hopefully you just need a new gasket for the water pump.

Btw, how did your timing belt install go? Did the two special tools help out alot when you installed the front timing belt? I have yet to order mine. I was thinking about first trying like this other person did in another thread. Like using an allen key and some channel locks or something to put put tension on the tension pulley. Idk, I just might go ahead and order the special adapter tool.

Did you buy a new auto tensioner? Or did you have it compressed and a grenade pin or equivalent installed to it?

If you did have it compressed, was the other special tool (the long bolt that goes through the engine mount) still required?
    I did my timming belt and the only special tool I needed was an allen wrench small enough to almost do work on reading glasses. LOL I also used the old tensioner. Took some muscle to compress it but it does compress. And when the tensioner is bolted back into place if you put the 2 bolts back in a certian way you can start one bolt then swing the tensioner into place and then put the other bolt in.

So here is the conclusion:

I pulled off everything including the timing belt. I pulled the water pump, cleaned the surfaces, and used strait RTV gasket on it, no paper gasket. I rebuilt everything around it. Let it cure for 24 hours and filled it with fluid. Started it, drove around some, and then suddenly SES light. I thought this was funny because throughout the entire process it never threw a code. We have a code reader so we checked it, and come to find out one vac line wasn't hooked up to the EGR valve. Fixed it, drove some more, went to lunch, came back and there is no fluid anywhere on the ground or on the covers. I reattached the splash guards and called it good.

My G is finally home after 2 months.

*Yes, there is cosmetic damage. No, it was like that when I bought it

After having gone through all of this, if anyone has any questions just let me know.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12