The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Switching to AWD if possible

Showing results 1 to 19 of 19
    SCortes

Switching to AWD if possible

I'm not sure if this has been covered specifically for the 8G or not, but does anyone know how to convert from FWD to AWD? It's a project I've been interested in doing lately, but I heard it's doable. So what parts would I need to switch exactly, etc.? Thanks in advance.

escoson
    do you have $15,000.00-$20,000.00 to do this?

cdaw2001ES
    I'm thinking the pricetag would be more like 8000 to 12000 if you could get a front clip off ebay, still need to custom the back end though

SCortes
    Not even close, give me a year or so, then maybe. Thanks though.

SCortes
    Damn i type slow, I could probably get to the 8000 mark, but i was think more along the lines of 5000 maybe, oh well. Guess i'll stick with what i have.

don't give up so easy.... maybe you could find a sponsor that would help pay

but don't ask me where to begin

try writing Horsepower TV

escoson
    btw, if you really want to do a awd conversion i say go for it. maybe you can look into getting the tranny and parts from a overseas galant. this question is asked alot but usually most blow it off because this can possible be one of the more extreme mods to do to the galant.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    for the rear diff there would have to be a lot of custom fab of parts and welding, its no simple bolt on

for $8-12k you could have a 12second FWD galant or a 17s awd galant
    7g for life!

Experienced TGC Member HeadAche's Avatar
    This topic has come up before and it is still probably the hardest thing to do.. Just finding someone to even take on the project is hard enough, then making it work is an even bigger problem.. I say if you got the money to even attempt it try it, but plan on spending more than what you paid for your car
    I Shook You At The Track, My Boyz Threw Asprin On The Floor, They Said Now You Gotta Headache...

The illiterate of the twenty-first century will not be those who can not read or write, but those who can not learn, un-learn and re-learn.

HiperSilver
    25k is what im thinking

You will need everything imported fom japan, half shafts, trans, rear end, diff, etc, Not to mention you will need to find a damn good shop that will say "We will do it" instead of "Fuck that".

uhm here's an idea, maybe try using parts from what we can get here. like maybe teh eclipse GSX or the 3kgt. maybe fabricate some parts here and there. face it, i mean even if you import the parts from japan, the jdm galant and us spec galant share almost nothing but the body.

but yea the underside of the us spec galant wasn't made for awd. you'd either have to chop up the underside or raise the galant up and turn it to a monster truck for the componenets to fit and not worry about the ground.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

RRE will do it for sure. They have offered to do a conversion with Lancer EVO parts. No one has taken them up on it yet.

-Mohammad

If you want AWD, the easiest way and probably the cheapest way to get it is to import a Galant VR-4 or Legnum VR-4 then convert it to be U.S. emissions legal or just swap the VIN# plates off of a U.S. Galant. As for making it left hand drive, you'd be better off importing one that's already left hand drive. I know they are out there, but I forget which country has them.

SCortes
    Appreciate the responses, this looks like it will be more trouble than it's worth. Guess i'll stick to going under the hood and modding suspension. Thanks again.

It would be alot of trouble, but man, it might be worth it if you can swing it. It's definitely alot of cash, and many would probably just go with another platform. I would love to see it done though.

-Mohammad

Experienced TGC Member HeadAche's Avatar
    Just thinking about the down time of your car would be months.. THen think of all the R&D after the conversion was done.. You can easily say this whole project would take up to a year to complete and then monitor properly
    I Shook You At The Track, My Boyz Threw Asprin On The Floor, They Said Now You Gotta Headache...

The illiterate of the twenty-first century will not be those who can not read or write, but those who can not learn, un-learn and re-learn.

HiperSilver
    my question is...

Why?

Not to knock on anyones hopes and dreams, but if you own a galant and want to convert it to awd, with that money you could have saved up and bought a vette or something else. An evo.

Senior TGC Member
    Because some people just want to mod the Galant. It's like those tuners that buy an S2000 and then put in 40 grand in mods...why not just buy a E55 AMG or other cars with the same amount of money they spent? All of those Civics running around probably have enough money in them to buy a G35 coupe, but many are still nowhere close to the G35's performance. Or the Focus V8 RWD conversion. People are just strange like that.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

J apmetal
    I think I speak as one of the lucky few who actually HAVE an AWD galant !!

Not thru any mad-scientist conversions tho, I own a good example of the fairly rare [at least in Britain] 1990 GTi 4WD 4WS; Based on the same technology as the VR4 of the same age & sharing most of the major working parts but lacking the Turbo or cyclone intake, reducing power from 220 Bhp to more like 150 Bhp [at flywheel].

Maybe if you really want a 4WD galant one of these would satisfy your taste for the exotic ? If you get the DOHC version it's full-on 6-bolt 4G63 fun for all, too

If you want to do the conversion on your 8G, you'll probably find you have to fabricate EVERYTHING to get the extras to fit; you'll need a transfer casing to fit your gear box/diff, probably a custom prop-shaft to fit the length of your chassis, and you'll have to find a rear diff to fit too [not to mention mounts for them aswell !]

Then you've got to make it fit under the car, which will mean totally butchering your floorpan to make room for the enlarged transmission tunnel you'll need to fit the prop in & a raised boot-floor level to accomodate the rear diff.

AND even once you get the diff & prop under the car, there's the question of totally rebuilding the rear suspension to accomodate the driveshafts into the hubs.

I know you already realised this was a BIG project to undertake, but you sound like you might still think about it; If the 8G floorpan is used in a 4WD application somewhere I might consider it, but it's such a HUGE job otherwise it's insane - and this is ME saying this ! :shock: :oops: