The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: keeping the car cool in the summer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 36 of 36
    Quote Originally Posted by twisted_galant View Post
    If you look at a bottle of antifreeze it says to use DISTILLED water, exactly as stated to prevent corrosion. You can run straight water with water wetter in a car year round, as long as the temps where you are at never get below 40 degrees. For cooler climates a 70/30 af/water mixture will work effeciently for your average climate in the United States your ideal mixture is 50/50. Don't buy the premixed stuff at the parts store if you are flushing the entire system, its a waste of moneey. Buy your antifreeze and wetter from the parts store, go to the grocery store and get a gallon of distilled water and you are ready to go. If 50/50 doesn't work with wetter in it to keep your temps proper you may have to look mechanical for the problems. To me it sounds like your overheating issue could be a water pump issue. As the pumps age they do not flow as well as they are supposed too. Don't know how old your pump is but it may be time to replace/upgrade... especially since you are boosted.
    What is this information being based on?

r you using the 50/50 premix?

im useing 1 gallon of antifreeze and the rest with water
    not the 50/50 premix stuff cuz all it is is water with antifrezze and on top of that ur adding more water

^^It says on the bottle do not add water. When you buy 50/50 it is already mixed and ready to pour. If you were to do a complete flush with 50/50 only, you would need to buy 2 bottles, you'll have some left over from the second bottle.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Aaron you need a bigger radiator. When I switched from the stock EVO radiator to the Koyo My temps went down about 15-20 degrees. The problem is surface area and airflow restriction. The air needs to get through the intercooler, tranny cooler and A/C condenser before it reaches your radiator. By the time its getting to the radiator most of its cooling ability has been diminished.

Are your fans OEM or aftermarket? If they are aftermarket, not having a proper shroud makes a huge difference as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

^^He's got a point...

well I have the 02-03 radiator which is 1" thick. I have the OEM driver side fan and a 11" pusher fan on passenger side.

I guess I should look for a radiator with more capcity tho. I'll have to look into how to hook up the Evo radiators to our cars.

For those that are automatic and still have v6, are there any options in bigger radiators. Cause I know some cars have a trans cooler built in the radiator. Didn't know if it was the same for ours.

Quote Originally Posted by qnz View Post
    well I have the 02-03 radiator which is 1" thick. I have the OEM driver side fan and a 11" pusher fan on passenger side.

I guess I should look for a radiator with more capcity tho. I'll have to look into how to hook up the Evo radiators to our cars.
    My Koyo is about 2.25" thick. So you have more than double the surface area for the air to pickup the heat from the face of the fins. It would be interesting what it would do with aftermarket shrouds, but I think your limited due to turbo placement or manifold and piping design.
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 8thLS6 View Post
    For those that are automatic and still have v6, are there any options in bigger radiators. Cause I know some cars have a trans cooler built in the radiator. Didn't know if it was the same for ours.
    Mishimoto radiator for the Eclipse will fit with some minor modification I believe. I think you need some spacers and you possibly need to move the upper brackets or something. Can't remember too well to be honest. But it doesn't have a transmission cooler on it though. The OEM ones do have a transmission oil cooler.

Have a toggle switch wired in the radiator relays. I think the control signal from the ECU is ground but not sure. With a flip of a switch youll have the fans running constantly.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

If the fan relay is working properly, his fans are going to be on full time anyhow due to the coolant temp reading that the ECU is reading.

Aaron if you want to get an EVO radiator in there, its not that difficult. You can get the Mishimoto one for an EVO8, run one stock EVO fan w/controller and then the pusher on the front. In order to run the EVO radiator you just need to relocate the two bottom mounting "pins" on the radiator, its as simple as cutting them off and moving them over about 2" then you need to elongate the bolt holes on the upper radiator brackets so that it can hold the top "pins". You can also run the mishimotor slim fans w/shroud, im just not sure if you have enough space with the turbo placement for the fans to fit, you might.
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Quote Originally Posted by finald8ta View Post
    r you using the 50/50 premix?

im useing 1 gallon of antifreeze and the rest with water
    not the 50/50 premix stuff cuz all it is is water with antifrezze and on top of that ur adding more water
    You do realize that the system holds about 2 gallons right? So one gallon antifreeze, one gallon water, equals 50/50 (as it should be anyways)...
    Last edited by RedGalant2k1; 07-23-2011 at 10:12 AM

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    You do realize that the system holds about 2 gallons right? So one gallon antifreeze, one gallon water, equals 50/50 (as it should be anyways)...
    You F-ing right, I didn't read it that closely. Back to square one.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi View Post
    If the fan relay is working properly, his fans are going to be on full time anyhow due to the coolant temp reading that the ECU is reading.

Aaron if you want to get an EVO radiator in there, its not that difficult. You can get the Mishimoto one for an EVO8, run one stock EVO fan w/controller and then the pusher on the front. In order to run the EVO radiator you just need to relocate the two bottom mounting "pins" on the radiator, its as simple as cutting them off and moving them over about 2" then you need to elongate the bolt holes on the upper radiator brackets so that it can hold the top "pins". You can also run the mishimotor slim fans w/shroud, im just not sure if you have enough space with the turbo placement for the fans to fit, you might.
    ^^^
    I have the evo 8 Mishimoto alum radiator, I need to install, so Brian this is good info.
    QNZ is no way the Mishimoto radiator with stock Fan will fit with your turbo. You need slim fans on them. The Mishimoto radiator are thick as fuck, Great to cool the engine. Also you will need a saperate trani cooler if you go with the Mishimoto.

I will do the install as soon i do my 5 speed swap since i wont need the trani cooler.
    Last edited by Isaurio; 07-25-2011 at 04:08 PM

Triple Diamond Motors East Cost
    02 2.5L Fully Built Galant 5 speed
    SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    thank u for saying that i didnt want to get any more red nuggets cuz no one understood what i ment

^^^

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12