The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: To silence or not to Silence

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10
    MISOBITCHI

To silence or not to Silence

My muffler has a silencer piece, Ive had my muffler for about 3 months and finally decided today to remove it to see what it sounds w/o it. I can't decided if i want to keep it off or keep it on. I went and drove it around and its actually not that much louder. At least to me.

Livn2sk8
    What kind of muffler is it?

MISOBITCHI
    Quote Originally Posted by Livn2sk8
    What kind of muffler is it?
    Its a CLA

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    i dunno, id have to hear the difference. if you have the silencer is supposed to give more backpressure which = torque and it is supposed to be quieter. but you wouldnt notice a performance gain i dont think and if it sounds the same, id just leave it off
    7g for life!

Experienced TGC Member
    or paint the silencer black if you're concerned about looks. Personally, if I had a baffler, it would be in all the time.
    [b]<span style='color:blue'>Wes</span>
    The true path to enlightenment is Here
    <-Check it out Maz
    My 7g

[b]<span style='color:darkred'>ClubTGC Shidoshi-Kai Fellowship</span>

mjc1055
    personally i dont see the point in buying a muffler to make your car louder (since it does nothing for performance) and then silencing it. seems redundant to me

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mjc1055)</div><div class='quotemain'>personally i dont see the point in buying a muffler to make your car louder (since it does nothing for performance) and then silencing it. seems redundant to me</div>

Well I guess I see you point... but

Actually, installing a straight through muffler and ridding at least one resonator will get you a few ponies. It's been proven on axle-back systems from all sorts of companies on a butt load of cars. The 7g is no different, Mitsu packed the stock muffler so full that our emission index is 0.
    Depending on the application, an installed baffler may hinder HP in some cases but is in no way as restrictive as stock or in other cases (such as cat-back) may improve torque response by restoring a little back pressure. The baffler can only "silence" the exhaust note a few decibles, it's not like you won't hear your exhaust with one in.
    I urge you to check out Greddy or HKS's websites and look at the dyno's for their axle-back systems.

Why would anyone want a muffler just for the sound? Maybe the same people that get Type-R stickers for the HP...
    [b]<span style='color:blue'>Wes</span>
    The true path to enlightenment is Here
    <-Check it out Maz
    My 7g

[b]<span style='color:darkred'>ClubTGC Shidoshi-Kai Fellowship</span>

yea i painted mine with high temp paint black... looks really goodat night... but its aight during the day its kinda too black... in the sunlight...
    uhhhh...... Whats a 9g???

man, i don't even remember how many times i've said this.. back pressure is BAD! it does not increase torque anywhere in the curve! you want to get rid of backpressure, and installing a silencer will not do that at any rpm! smaller exhaust piping can help reduce back pressure at lower rpms, but a silencer will let the piping stay the same size, or be bigger, and then act like a wall for the exhaust to ram into. it will not increase performance anywhere.

VypA
    lol sabzi... sometimes i think maybe im the only one that took that in last time you said it n im still a n00b... j/p guys im sure a lot of yall caught it. anyways personally i say leave it out, the 2.4s in our G's sound pretty good not silenced in my opinion. not like those 1.6L in hondas :-p