The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: the 75 mph vibration - basically solved.

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6
    Gilhuly

the 75 mph vibration - basically solved.

I was getting the same vibration people have been complaining about between 65 and 75 mph. I believe the lion's share of the problem was, in fact my rear brake rotors being warped. Obviously I would feel them when braking, but also at certain speed, for me about 75. Apparently the back and forth lateral motion at certain rpms of the rotor creates a certain harmonic wobble at certain speeds that can be felt more than at other speeds. I had also had my tires balanced like 2 weeks prior and that had an impact on the shaking as well so I feel like I had a couple things going on, but I wanted to confirm that warped rotors will create wobble without having any braking going on and it's not just tire balancing.

I have a slight vibration - maybe thats the start of that problem like you had. Thanks for the update!

99GalantES
    Yes warped rotors will cause shaking even if your not braking. Why? because as the tire spins so does the rotor and a warped rotor causes an imbalance in the rotation of the wheel.

Edit: I should probably say that the rotor spins causing your wheels to spin and not the other way around. Anyway it is the pads that squeeze down on the spining rotor to slow or stop the car.

Hey thanks for that update guys. I think a few people were having this type of problem, and I think I am experiencing a small degree of it. When it gets bad I will know what to do. Thanks

delo
    yeah i have the steering wheel vibration at about 70mph. Hate it. let me know what the fix it is.

Gilhuly
    The fix is get your brake discs turned and your tires balanced. Nothing a decent neighborhood garage couldn't do for you.