The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Scratched my hood

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5
    cdaw2001ES

Scratched my hood

Good evening all,
    I did a very stupid thing today.

I was installing some wire loom, painted my header, my oem intake and fuse/relay box cover.
    To do this I had placed my car 2/3 of my car in the driveway, 1/3 in the garage.

Well, I worked thru the evening, and all was going well. I got the header and (new gaskets) back on. and it was getting dark. I go over to the patio to sit an smoke a cig and marvel at my handy work.
    - This is where it gets funky.
    It was gettin a litlle too dark, so I go down some steps -reach in the screen door to flip on the flood light, and as I'm reaching - I bump the garage door buton.
    The Door begins to come down - my car's bumper was above the IR sensors. The door hits the hood, and quickly begins bending the hood prop and sliding (scraping) down about 18" of my hood. - Then the saftey kicks in and the door goes back up - whith the blinky disco light.

It didnt bend the hood at all. just put about 15 to 20 little 18" lines in it - 1 deep enough to have "edges" and several showing white- but most are just in the clear coat . - they dont wipe off -

I was able to seperate the prop from the hood and bend the prop back to shape - whitout harming it any further.

SO what I'm looking for is a good advice for fixing surface blemishes.

A C/F hood is in the futre - after the car has the balls to wear it.

Damn Cdaw, that sucks, but there's not one of us here that hasn't done a similar "oh shit". You might want to start with some polishing compound to see if that takes out the light scratches. I'd suggest rubbing compound, but that might be too abrasive. You can always go the Scratch-X route, I've heard it works but never actually tried it, so I can't comment. But I have had good success with polishing compound to remove small scratches. If it's really bad and you're feeling brave, there's always 2000 grit sandpaper and water to wet sand the scratches out and then redo the clear coat. Good luck amigo.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

cdaw2001ES
    I tried the polishing compound, that just made the scatches shiny.- but it did get off some of the paint the door put there - which at first glace I thought were scratches I do have a full complement from 240-3000 grit of slicon carbide wet paper, (I make custom drums on the side), I wasn't sure of the process - What is our clear coat made of - nitrocellulose?

I was going to get some tuchup paint- But from what I've read - Mitsu aint so good with color matching.

99GalantES
    I've used the scratch-x stuff and it does work for work out light blemishes or when someone else paint gets on your clearcoat cuz the damn bastard was careful opening his door. It's like a superfine sander but unlike sandpaper it isn't harsh.

cdaw2001ES
    Y - I got some, I went thru 2000G - to 3000G on the deep spot, and ran 3000G over the whole area, then Rubing comp, then Polish comp, then Scatch X, then Gold Class'd the whole car.
    I'm tired as f, and my arms are about to fall off, But it looks better than it did before the mishap.