The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Sputtering on start...how to get codes

Showing results 1 to 20 of 20

Sputtering on start...how to get codes

2000 Galant ES (4cyl) (94K miles).....

A few days ago, I noticed that it sputters after stopping....like when moving from a stop (stopsign, light, etc). Hesitates on acceleration..... Did a visual and did not see anything wrong. Plugs replaced 2 months ago, etc.

Today, my "service engine soon" light came on...how do I check for codes? Will they tell me if this is an O2 sensor problem and which one is defective? Anyone got a goo source for aftermarket/replacement O2 sensors? Autozone wants $150+, depending on which one is bad....

That is just my first guess. All ideas/suggestions are welcome...especially inexpensive tasks/items...THANX!!!

Elvis

Elvis,

It al depends on the code. First, go to Autozone and get them to pull the code. I've got the current list from the service manual. While you're there, buy a can of throttle body cleaner. Take apart your intake and clean the throttle body. Directions are posted here, you can search for them.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

lee_sosa

sputtering on start...how to get codes

Man I had the same problem. One of my ignition coils went bad. THe dealership had to run diagnostics and it didn't give a code. So they took the coils off and tested them to find out that one was bad. Ended up costing near $200.00 dollars.

Found problem = solved

Went to Autozone....scanned the codes and found cyl # 2 was misfiring. Replaced sparkplugs and all is well again. Disconnected/reconnected battery and SES light is off.

Thing is, I had replaced the plugs about 2 months ago...just some 99 cent ones from Autozone (Platinum)....got some Platinum 2's this time ($3.99 each).....hope they last longer. No other symptoms of lean, rich, or other conditions that could've fouled it, but marked and kept the plugs anyways. Thanx for all your help guys.... This $18 fix was much better than the $150+ if I had to replace an O2 sensor....whew!!!

Elvis

Still not over with

Well....I stomped on the gas last night and got the SES light again...tho it still ran great. Light's off this AM, but kinda sputters, compared to yesterday. Could my original problem be in the coilpack, or wires....causing a plug to foul out?

If so, where can I get an inexpensive coilpack? Are they available cheaper, for different car models with the same 4 cyl engine? Autozone had 'em for about $107, with a 3-day wait (you'd think it was a handgun).

What about wires....dealer item?

Thanx guys!!! Your responses are very much appreciated.

Elvis

Hey man you should stick NGK I had the same problem with Bosch Platinum plugs, Go with NGK V-Power I got those in and I running now
    The Altima

FIXED Finally

I had a misfire in cylinder 2. Replaced the spark plugs, then found it was still misfiring. Moved the coilpacks around and finally found that one of the coilboots was fouled (they come off...just gotta be gentle), causing the misfire. A bad coil would probably affect both cylinders that it runs, so I was able to rule it out as completely failing.

I ended up ordering the coilboot (~$22)...By the way, IT IS available as a separate item. You DO NOT have to get another coil, to fix it. Just order the boot....I'll get the part number and post it later.

Anyways, that fixed my low-speed/idle vibration/sputter.....

Elvis

cdaw2001ES
    For an 8G I4, there are two of them, right on top of the valve cover, they are incorporated with a spark plug "plug" attached.

On the v6 the coil is in the distributer

Replacing coil boot (long)

The two coils (4 cyl), are at the top of the valve cover and each coil controls 2 spark plugs. They each "sit" on a spark plug, and have a cable going to the other spark plug that they control. To remove the coil, you remove/loosen the two 10mm bolts that fasten it to the valve cover. Pull the coil up (takes a lil' effort) and then you'll see the coil-boot, which fits over the plug. Work that coil boot off...being very careful not to damage the plastic at the bottom of the coil. Just work the new one on and you're done.

I determined that the coilboot was bad, by swapping the 2 coils with each other. Once I found that misfire from cyl #2 went to cyl #4, I swapped the coilboots and found that cyl#2 misfired again.(I went to Autozone and had them scan the code, when my SES light cam on each time).

The coilboot PartNumber is Mitsubishi PN# MN158977

Basically,
    If your engine sputters and you get a code that says there's a misfire, replace the plugs, then coilboot. I would assume that if a coil goes bad, the car will not start, since it controls 2 cylinders/sparkplugs.

Good luck.

Elvis

clone2020
    My dealership charges $16 for the boot and $180 for the whole coil assembly.

-Mike.

....I couldn't get it any lower than $20 at mine. The coil is available from Autozone for ~$107.....

clone2020
    How does the boot come off the coil pack?

I see the metal "coil" part and then the plastic part that goes in the spark plug hole. It's shaped like an "L" but how does it come apart?

-Mike.

I will try to get some pics of the boot removal, if ya really need 'em... kinda spending some time on my Supra now. PM me and remind me to get U some pics, if it gets to that point where U still need 'em and haven't got them yet.....

On the 4cyl., pull the coil off (boot will come out with it). You can "twist/turn" the boot to get it off the coilpack. Be careful tho, because the part where the boot connects to is also plastic and is somewhat brittle. I found a few small pieces of broken off plastic inside the old boots, that came off of the bottom of the coilpack. I am not sure of the "L" shape that was refered to in the earlier message. The coilboots on the 4cyl are straight and only about 5" long.

Elvis

clone2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Satan
    I will try to get some pics of the boot removal, if ya really need 'em... kinda spending some time on my Supra now. PM me and remind me to get U some pics, if it gets to that point where U still need 'em and haven't got them yet.....

On the 4cyl., pull the coil off (boot will come out with it). You can "twist/turn" the boot to get it off the coilpack. Be careful tho, because the part where the boot connects to is also plastic and is somewhat brittle. I found a few small pieces of broken off plastic inside the old boots, that came off of the bottom of the coilpack. I am not sure of the "L" shape that was refered to in the earlier message. The coilboots on the 4cyl are straight and only about 5" long.

Elvis
    The coil and the boot together kinda make an "L" shape. The coil is the metal part and the plastic piece is the coil boot. So I just pull off the boot from the coil?

-Mike.

MASONSTORM
    guys, please DO NOT use anything but NGK regular plugs in your I-4 galants, YOU WILL get a misfire code assured. the ignition system cannot handle the resitance of the plat plug and you will burn out your coil pack. you can used champions at last resort but try to stick with NKG non-platinum plugs. ONLY non-platinum plugs.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MASONSTORM)</div><div class='quotemain'>guys, please DO NOT use anything but NGK regular plugs in your I-4 galants, YOU WILL get a misfire code assured. the ignition system cannot handle the resitance of the plat plug and you will burn out your coil pack. you can used champions at last resort but try to stick with NKG non-platinum plugs. ONLY non-platinum plugs.</div>

What about the V6. Should we go for the NGK platinum since it's such a bizatch to change the rear plugs and the interval is longer?
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

MASONSTORM
    definately go with NGK plat on the 3.0. Service interval is 60K miles.

cdaw2001ES
    Ive had Bosch Platinum 4's in for over a year - not a single problem.

MASONSTORM
    Youve been lucky, I see at least 1 a day in my shop for that problem