The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Performance Muffler, Do or Don't?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 29 of 29
    Moosh
    I think aftermarket performance mufflers sound annoying........ it will make you look like a ricer too. It won't increase the performance of your car so the only reason I can think of you wanting to do it is because you care about what people think. A lot of people are going to make fun of you because you're car is probably slow and you would have a very loud muffler on it. I just thought of another reason. You might actually like the way it sounds, makes you feel like its faster because its louder. To me, everyway I look at it...... its a waste of money. Unless you are out to impress a few ricers, or get challenged to street races....... I don't know..... I'm going to probably get chewed out for these comments by all you guys with so called performance mufflers :evil:

Am I the only one with NO muffler?

Quote Originally Posted by Messiah [Reborn
    ]Am I the only one with NO muffler?
    nah i don't have one yet

Quote Originally Posted by CustomMotto
    nah i don't have one yet
    I meant no muffler...stock or aftermarket

SEE???

]
    Quote Originally Posted by CustomMotto
    nah i don't have one yet
    I meant no muffler...stock or aftermarket

SEE???
    DAMN! :shock:

brandon
    So Moosh, I'm confused... you're saying:

a) why bother to put an aftermarket muffler on if you don't plan on doing other mods to the exhaust?
    why bother having an aftermarket muffler over stock?
    c) why bother having a muffler at all? (ala Messiah?)

Why WOULDN'T you want a less restrictive muffler??

Moosh
    I am saying doing anything to your exhaust is a waste of money on a stock Galant engine. Adding a muffler by itself is just going to make your car louder. Less restrictive exhausts are neccessary for engines that are bringing in a lot of air so that you are actually losing power by having a restrictive exhaust. I took a look at your list of modifications, and none of them are really doing anything to make your engine more powerful than stock. So in your case, and 98% of everyone else on these boards in my honest opinion it is a waste of money. If you are planning on going turbo, wait until after you go turbo and then you may want to upgrade to a larger exhaust. This means your entire exhaust, not just the muffler.

SkunK
    A lot of peeps put on aftermarket exhausts because they:

a.) Look much nicer
    b.) Sound meaner

I think most ppl know that a muffler alone does not amount to anything performance-wise. It's not a waste of money if it makes you happier with your car. ...nothing wrong with that .

brandon
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosh
    I took a look at your list of modifications, and none of them are really doing anything to make your engine more powerful than stock. So in your case, and 98% of everyone else on these boards in my honest opinion it is a waste of money. If you are planning on going turbo, wait until after you go turbo and then you may want to upgrade to a larger exhaust. This means your entire exhaust, not just the muffler.
    <cough> I don't have anything done to my exhaust. <cough> and am planning to go turbo <cough> haha

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12