The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: clunking rear deck area. i've tried... and searched!

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

clunking rear deck area. i've tried... and searched!

So I have kyb AGX struts and progress springs all around, they've been on the car a long time now. the past year or two the car had more creaks and groans. I recently replaced the bumpstops up front, and sway bar endlinks. The bumpstops stoped the terrible clunk/hard hits from pot holes.

Now for the back, I get this clunking noise. Over uneven road changes, and bumps, I get this clunkedy clunk. Not hard hit bottom out feeling.

Really weird thing is I notice the noise is louder when i have my windows down... WTF

I looked at the rear struts, bumpstops probably need replacing. But, heard the rears weren't as important and i didn't think this was the cause.
    I replaced the rear sway bar endlinks, and bushings, sounds still there.

I thought it was the rear decklid bouncing. I pulled that, put some dynamat stuff on it. Continued noise. I realized 3rd brake light was knocking into the window. fixed that. But it's still there. top bolts on rear struts are tight.

I think my last option is replace bumpstops on rear. Is there something between the top of the strut, into the car mount? I feel like maybe something is knocking up there. Any ideas would be great. I have searched, and have been replacing/canceling out what it could be. Still stuck.

i used to have a noise by the rear deck my solution was the volume on my radio lol

i later found the bolts on the rear deck where loose and there was one of the washers rattiling around undernith not sure if this is ur problem but im talking about the three bolts with the plastic covers over them

I think it could be the rear coil insulator does anyone know? I'm pretty sure the front doesn't have these which is weird.

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.kiev.ua...orkShop/34.pdf

I should point out that the link to the service page you posted isn't a USDM car, so if that is the case, then ignore this

my guess is the middle nut thats holding the spring down. not the 2 on the sides, the middle nut

does anyone have a usdm service thing for rear suspension. middle bolt it tight too. I know there's some sort of rubber thing that was between the springs and strut

well i've replaced a lot of stuff this last time, the car feels really good. Yet the clunking still exists, I'm pretty sure it's from the sunroof that was installed by previous owner. I don't know if it's an oem one or what. It broke about 8 years ago, and a shop sealed it up permanently. I'm thinking I pull the headliner, and inspect it, i'm pretty sure this is the noise!

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    I would replace the rubber top mounts on your rear struts. That's what it sounds like.