The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Replacing outer tie rods

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Replacing outer tie rods

I need to replace the passenger side outer tie rod on my wife's 8G, so I figured I might as well do both sides.

Am I right in thinking that it's pretty simple, just remove the cotter pin and unbolt it, mark where the lock nut is, pop it off with a tie rod seperator tool and unscrew it? Or is there more to it?

thats pretty much it...i use a BFH instead of a tie rod tool tho lol

Quote Originally Posted by QnzMostWanted View Post
    thats pretty much it...i use a BFH instead of a tie rod tool tho lol
    I happen to have the tool already so it's easier to use that than the BFH, my aim ain't all that good and I'd wind up breaking something.

Thanks for the response.

You may not need either and it will be a sinch to pull out. Try to get it as close to how it was so your toe isn't 50 degrees off, then it's off to the alignment rack.

i just did this yesterday on a 3000gt, i dont understand why you need a removal tool?
    you just unhook the end link and unscrew the whole thing, i had to use vicegrips but there are slots in it for a wrench.

Quote Originally Posted by dknight3 View Post
    i just did this yesterday on a 3000gt, i dont understand why you need a removal tool?
    you just unhook the end link and unscrew the whole thing, i had to use vicegrips but there are slots in it for a wrench.
    I guess it depends on how long they've been on there and how tight they are. I did this on my Duster (a 1973) and it took a whole lot of muscle to get them apart. On my truck (a 1997) one popped right out without much work and the other needed the tool to get it apart.

Hopefully it'll be easy on the Galant (a 2000).

The trick is to unlock the jam nut before unbolting the tie rod end from the knuckle.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.