The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: v6 distributor O-ring

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11
    Experienced TGC Member Dominicano's Avatar

v6 distributor O-ring

has any ever replaced the o-ring that goes on the distributor?, I got a small oil leak and when i see the smoke coming out its coming from where the distributor is. last time I replaced it i just got one from the junk yard and put in it but never replaced the o-ring.

never mind i was able to find a universal set in Autozone and one of the o-rings is the same size needed.

I hope it works, sometimes they can be the correct diameter but to thick/thin, anyway Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    I hope it works, sometimes they can be the correct diameter but to thick/thin, anyway Good luck.
    I went to all the auto part in my area before I found the one and it's pretty close.

Good to know, post up the part number. Ive seen the packages of Dorman: Help! O-Rings.

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    Good to know, post up the part number. Ive seen the packages of Dorman: Help! O-Rings.
    yep the Help! was the brand it came with a pack of twelve different sizes.

You will also be replacing the O-ring on the cam thrust cap on the forward bank. Just replaced it and I had to remove the distributer along with the coolant crossover tube to get to it. I discovered that the Distributer O -ring was also leaking in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by ni2 View Post
    You will also be replacing the O-ring on the cam thrust cap on the forward bank. Just replaced it and I had to remove the distributer along with the coolant crossover tube to get to it. I discovered that the Distributer O -ring was also leaking in the process.
    where exactly is this seal?

The pic (previous post)above is the back of head of the front bank just to the side of the coolant crossover tube where the upper radiator hose connects to it. If your starter has oil all over it, this is most likely where it’s coming from. In my case this was the source.

ok just looked at the manual and saw what you talking about when i went to check the car. damn what sucks cause i did a whole drainage of the coolant and could of taken care of that while i had the coolant crossover off.
    Last edited by Dominicano; 07-13-2012 at 03:05 PM