The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: breather filter

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8
    PMMA1997

breather filter

peeps,

Anybody seen a Galant V6 with breather filter/s? Is there any actual benefit/s in installing these? Thanks!

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    whats a breather filter for anyways, i always see a thousand of them at pep boys for like 12 bucks, and i always want to buy one for the hell of it, but what am i supposed to do with it? :?: :?
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

pinoyMMC
    Breather Filters are a component of the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) system. The PCV system's function is to rid the engine of gases produced from a overly-rich fuel mixture, improper fuel/air settings, and worn piston rings of cylinders. The PCV system generally consists of a PCV valve, a vacuum line, and the breather filter.

The blow-by vapors are drawn from the crankcase through the vacuum line and into the intake manifold, where they are mixed with the fuel/air mixture from the carburetor or the fuel injection system, and then burned in the cylinders. To make up for this loss of pressure in the crankcase, fresh air flows through the air cleaner, breather, and PCV valve into the crankcase.

i had to buy 2 breather filters on my fathers car('91 Chyrsler New Yorker). They were both located under the Air Filter, one right beneath the other. they are also supposed to help you engine when sucking-in air.

There better then just the hose? Time to put mine back on.........
    YES I STILL HAVE MY GALANT!!

There better then just the hose? Time to put mine back on.........
    YES I STILL HAVE MY GALANT!!

here's an old dsm trick. cheap too.

well having a breather filter is illegal in many states. why? because of the emmissions from the filter. so keep that in mind.

anotehr thing is the oil that is emitted from the gasses can make ur engine bay dirty. not seen as much on n/a cars. or without hte breather filter, your intake pipe gets dirty blah.

this is what i have an many other people do. go down to the auto parts store. i went to the auto aisle at walmart and buy an inline fuel filter. the one i got had a clear case to it.

so yea, you got that hose from the pcv that goes onto the intake pipe. disconnect that hose from the intake pipe. connect one end of the fuel filter to the intake pipe and that hose that you removed to the other end of the fuel filter.

the fuel filter pretty much acts kinda like the breather filter. but legal. its legal because you are not emitting them hazardous toxic vapors into the atmosphere. its still goint to the intake pipe and then thru the TB and into the combustion chamber. things stay clean since the oil and whatever from them vapors get stuck in the filter. once the filter gets dirty just clean it out or if you got them cheap ass filters like i do, just buy a new one.

i've had mine for a few months yea. i see it working. i mean i don't see a big puddle of oil sitting in the filter but i do see a discoloration in the filter element.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

there is absolutly NO advantage of any kind in using a "breather filter" on any car today.

the cars are set up from the factory to use filtered air through the factory air filter, so the PCV already draws in clean air.
    also, venting to the air intake keeps all random oil vapors in the engine where they can be burned appropriately.

so dont bother with a breather filter. not only is it totally useless, its also illegal in most places.