The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Extended Warranty ?

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Extended Warranty ?

Hey guys its me Kevin. Well my initial warranty is almost up, and i couldnt decide whether to go with Mitsubishi's extended warranty or not.

Ive read several things (problems) that have come up in the 8g, as you get to the later mileage.

Was just wonderin if it was worth putting $1300 in to the warranty it goes up to i think 100000 miles or 10 years im not sure but its a long time.

My car currently has 32000 miles, oil change every 3k-4k miles. etc.
    Oh and i need to know quick b/c i have until December to decide.

So what do you think?
    Kevin
    2006 GIXXER 600

what did u plan on doing to the car in the future? i know some people are holding off seriously modding their car so they won't void your warranty. so im like, why pay for an extended one if you are gonna void it? soething to think about.

my extended warranty has some good benefits. like it gives me a rental car, hotel room if need be, towing. so im keeping mine. read the terms of the extended warranty before you decide.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

nothing really i did the most i could or was planning to. I put a CAI, Drop, STB, and exhaust.

Thats it. Im not doin anything to the engine. Except maybe engine dress up LoL.

But i am changing the exterior, im putting the initial V kit, and a CF EVO hood.

Thats it.
    Kevin
    2006 GIXXER 600

OK here's my thoughts. $1300 is a lot of money, especially for the terms of most extended warranties. Most if not all have a deductible amount you have to pay regardless of what goes wrong with your car. Secondly, they're gonna be even stricter about harrassing you about the mods to your car causing problems. Even though your mods are simple ones, I can almost guarantee you that if anything goes wrong with your suspension, like CV joints, etc. They're going to blame your drop and void the warranty. If you throw an SES light, they're going to blame your CAI. Much like the dealer does now, only worse.
    And if you have a clause in the warranty that says something like if the same part fails three times we'll give you a new car, don't be stupid. When your glovebox latch breaks for the third time, Mitsu isn't going to present you with a new car. The engine and powertrain are warranted for 6/60K anyway, so I'd say save the cash. I've owned a lot of cars and never bought the extended warranty on any of them.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishboy55
    The engine and powertrain are warranted for 6/60K anyway.
    What do you mean? I have a 99es, and my dad had bought, and extended (i think) 3 year warranty, or 60 k. But the 3 years are up on December. So i never hit the 60k mark.
    Kevin
    2006 GIXXER 600

Senior TGC Member
    OK here's my thoughts. $1300 is a lot of money, especially for the terms of most extended warranties. Most if not all have a deductible amount you have to pay regardless of what goes wrong with your car. Secondly, they're gonna be even stricter about harrassing you about the mods to your car causing problems. Even though your mods are simple ones, I can almost guarantee you that if anything goes wrong with your suspension, like CV joints, etc. They're going to blame your drop and void the warranty. If you throw an SES light, they're going to blame your CAI. Much like the dealer does now, only worse.
    And if you have a clause in the warranty that says something like if the same part fails three times we'll give you a new car, don't be stupid. When your glovebox latch breaks for the third time, Mitsu isn't going to present you with a new car. The engine and powertrain are warranted for 6/60K anyway, so I'd say save the cash. I've owned a lot of cars and never bought the extended warranty on any of them.
    I'm afraid Chip's right. I have first hand experience now too. Think about it carefully before you leap. Personally, I'd say no, don't do it.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

Quote Originally Posted by GaLaNtKeV99
    What do you mean? I have a 99es, and my dad had bought, and extended (i think) 3 year warranty, or 60 k. But the 3 years are up on December. So i never hit the 60k mark.
    The standard warranty on the car is 3 years/36000 miles. The powertrain has a factory warranty of 6/60k
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Dre
    One other thing about the extended warranty is that they actually start at the same time your basic warranty begins, thus effectively reducing your time. This is pretty much the same as buying an extended warranty with any product. Rarely do they start after the basic one ends. That's where they get you. And after the sale of the car, or whatever it may be, the extended warranty is just "straight money" in the sellers' pockets. Despite all of that, I have one. I had one with my previous car, a Toyota SR-5, and a year after the basic warranty ended, I had a problem with my rear main seal, but the extended warranty covered it. Even after getting my Mitsu in 2001, it was a tough decision. But now the decision was made and I cannot look back as to whether or not I did the right thing.

Quote Originally Posted by GaLaNtKeV99
    The standard warranty on the car is 3 years/36000 miles. The powertrain has a factory warranty of 6/60k
    Yea 2004 is my 6th year.
    Kevin
    2006 GIXXER 600