The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 99-01 cluster in a 02 problems

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

99-01 cluster in a 02 problems

So I just got a gauge 99-01 cluster for 2002 8g and am having some problems. I just plugged it in and here are the things that are happening. I checked to make sure all of the warning lights lined up the same from my 02 cluster and they do. But when I put the 99-01 cluster in, the gas light turns on and off when I open the door and close it, so its acting like its the door ajar light and the actual door ajar light does not come on, the light with the car and the squiggly lines behind it im assuming thats traction control, is always on no matter what. And the gas gauge is always all the way full. I drove around a bit to see if it would go down to where my gas actually is which is at about half a tank, but it didnt move. I took the clear cover off and moved the gas needle down to where my original gas needle shows, but when I turn the car on it goes back to showing all the way full. Any ideas on what might be the problem with the lights and the gas gauge?

Switch the circuit board (the green thing on the back..its very easy) from your old to your new one and switch your old odometer into the new cluster. and search next time
    -Dirty South-

They See Me Rollin They Hating -Riding Dirty-
    Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    It dont smell or anything so F it.

^^^^ this... Also if you do attempt it be very ginger with the board it's delicate..

Thanks so much for the info, I read a bunch of threads about the clusters but didnt see anything about switching the circuit board, after you post I searched again and found the post that stated to do that. I just switched them and it works perfect.

Glad you got it fixed so easily, thumbs up!

Btw, you should have access through our FAQ section for the 'Full Service Manual' for our cars

You are here entirely tooo much!! IVORY_G's Avatar
    Glad you got everything working again bro! I knew it was something simple probably but I just didn't know what...
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

Re: 99-01 cluster in a 02 problems

Hey guys I'm new here and could really use some help. The gauges won't light up in my 1999 gallant. Everything else works fuses are fine relays service engine light etc. Tried replacement bulbs and that didn't work. Any ideas? Thanks!

Is the dimmer switch plugged in and is it operating the other lights on the dash (radio, fog/mirror switch/AC control/shifter lights)? The dimmer controls the gauge backlight as well as all those backlights. If those work but not your gauges, you may have a wiring issue. Also, if you are using LED bulbs by chance, they may be polarity-specific and will only light if you have them in the right way. Unless you don't have the bulbs all the way seated or the bulb holders themselves all the way in. Hope this helps.

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

I appreciate the quick response thank you . all the rest of the lights work, the dimmer switch works too it is not a fuse i checked the brake lights I can't think of what else it could be

All that's left is loss of power to the cluster or a bad circuit board.

That's my guess... how much do you think they are at a salvage yard?