The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Turned right heard grinding from axle then BOOM

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6
    Stavy6

Turned right heard grinding from axle then BOOM

Alright so yesterday turned right into dunkin heard grinding from axle on knuckle..turned right again then boom list power from tranny. Put car into park got out n saw little metal marble balls? 2 of em. Got back into car put in drive all I heard was grinding noise and car wouldn't move. Idk what happened I'm lost.

Probably need a new axle.

Metal marbles? Wheel bearing perhaps.

Is the wheel on the effected side still stright up and down , And is it faced the same way as the one on the other side. You may jack the car up to get wheel off the ground and see if the wheel and tire have alot of play in it, if it does then it is a wheel bearing. Or you may have a broken cv axel on the hub side or the transmission side, See if the rubber boot is broke open and greese slung everywere. It should be very noticeable either way what went wrong.
    93 MR2

The metal marbles are the ball bearings from inside the constant velocity (CV) joint of the axle.

A new axle will get you back up and running.

You can't drive because the open differential in our (and most car's) transmission/rear end (for RWD cars) sends power to both side gears which spin the axles as long as both wheels have traction. When one wheel loses traction, either because of a slippery surface or a busted axle, the diff will send all power to the side gear with no traction, leaving you stranded. Limited slip differentials don't do this.

Here's more info on this:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm

Hope this helps, and good luck.

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

Stavy6
    Yea my boot on the cv joint was ripped wide open I bought a axle for 1 and change gonna put the new scale in today thanks good three information helped a lot

Stavy6
    Everything went well threw new axle in and worked fine thanks again guys