The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: whats the name of this dash piece?

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

whats the name of this dash piece?

I had an accident and broke this dash piece. I want to get it replaced but I don't.know the name or where to buy it from any help?

That piece is connected to the rest of the dash via small tabs, then melted down. In a sense, you have to destroy it to separate it. Just like you have to do on the door panels if you were to take those apart and wrap them in fabric/vinyl/clothe.

I would suggest you either:
    A. Take it all apart, pull that vinyl off, repair that area, re-wrap it with a new color.
    B. Get a new dash

I got the entire dash (minus the vents and hazard switch) from the junk yard for $25 Had some cracks on it, but im going to fiberglass it and wrap it anyways. Not sure how the JY's are in Puerto Rico, but good luck!

How can i repair it? I tried pulling it apart and it.keeps breaking into pieces looks like it's toasted and at slightest pull it breaks.

Yeh, the dash is very brittle and easy to crack. If you have it out of the car and already separated the two pieces, this will be easier.

Use packaging tape or duct tape over the cracks to keep them flush and together as much as possible. This can also hold the curvature of the dash.

You may need to pull off the vinyl and foam and re-wrap this later.

Lay fiberglass / resin behind the cracks the secure the hole.

You may also need to place something behind there to push against the cracks so they stay flush while drying. Just make sure its covered in plastic wrap so the fiberglass doesnt stick to it.

Once the fiberglass is dried, use body filler to fill he gaps, sand it and wrap it with a new vinyl.

did somebody do a header into that?

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

Any particular brand you recommend for the fiber glass or resin? Am not very familiar with working with fiber glass but I get what you mean.

whats the name of this dash piece?

1 new from mitsu too expensive to be worth it
    2 junk yard dunno in PR
    3 coverlay look up galant coverlay $110

i have taken out 3 8g's interior's to paint/repair the infamous galant dash crack. i paid $75 for great condition junkyard one, which im painting flat black tomorrow. i call that piece the front dash. even though its squishier than the main/upper dash piece, its still the front dash. revinyl-ing it isnt hard. but time consuming and sorta costly. "$40/yard" from my local miami rubber store.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker96 View Post
    Any particular brand you recommend for the fiber glass or resin? Am not very familiar with working with fiber glass but I get what you mean.
    I have only used Bondo brand that I bought from Autozone. You need the fiberglass matt and Resin (it should come with the hardener) They sell Kits that have everything: mat, resin, hardener.
    If you are taking the vinyl off the front part of the dash, you may also need a body filler to fill the gaps after you do the fiberglass from the back. I have also used Bondo brand.
    Keep in mind, I am not a pro or anything when it comes to fiberglass. I'm sure other people on TGC can chime in and give better advice. I've only used this brand bc it was easily accessible for me. I've done a few small time projects.

I haven't had any problems with it. You may be able to find something cheaper though. Just be careful with the stuff. You dont want it on your skin, eyes, mouth... and you dont want to breath it either. Especially when sanding.

As for dash covers, I don't think they cover that part of the dash except for the carpet ones. I have one that came in my car and its ugly as shit.