The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Cleaning throttle body.

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12
    stormcruiser

Cleaning throttle body.

I have idling problem and from here I learnt that cleaning the throttle body might solve the problem.....now which part is throttle body?
    metal plate above engine? or tube that connect mas to engine? ot platic that contains honey comb? PLease someone use this pic and draw a circle on throttle body plz......

and how do I clean it? Please tell me in detail....Thank you~

Experienced TGC Member HeadAche's Avatar
    Your throttle body sits right behind the valve cover, its where your intake phlenum connects to.
    I Shook You At The Track, My Boyz Threw Asprin On The Floor, They Said Now You Gotta Headache...

The illiterate of the twenty-first century will not be those who can not read or write, but those who can not learn, un-learn and re-learn.

Faction

stormcruiser
    Thanks~ now How do I clean it?

brandon
    There are instructions on the can when you buy it... but basically you just have to make sure your car is off... remove the intake piping, pull the throttle body opening open using the cable at the top of that circle above, and spray away.

Your best bet is to take a clean toothbrush and try and clear out some of the gunk with that also.

Start her up and let her run for a bit (it'll be harsh at first), and you should be good to go shortly after.

Faction
    one important question here, when i spray inside the throttle body and butterfly plate, there must be a lot of dirty carb cleaner that gets collected. and when starting up the engine i know for a fact the galant hates carb cleaner shit and it jumps into the high RPM's, is this bad for our car?

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Faction
    one important question here, when i spray inside the throttle body and butterfly plate, there must be a lot of dirty carb cleaner that gets collected. and when starting up the engine i know for a fact the galant hates carb cleaner shit and it jumps into the high RPM's, is this bad for our car?
    When u start your car just floor it and get all that shit out. the carb cleaner will burn off with the gas. I use Gunk fuel injection/carb cleaner.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Moosh
    If you want to you can take the throttle body off by disconnecting the antifreeze hoses (there are two of them) and taking I think 4 bolts off and it comes right out. You need a bucket to pick up the antifreeze when it falls out of the hoses, and also you will need a liquid gasket tube so you can create a gasket between the throttle body and intake manifold when you are ready to put it back

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Just follow the directions on the throttle body cleaner can...its a simple task. If you have never cleaned it before..I would spray and spray inside and use the toothbrush technique to loosen the more hardened carbon deposits in the intake manifold walls. Your car will run like crap...may even stall (Just start it up again) and just watch all the black smoke come out. I would also suggest to go ahead and get the injectors cleaned soon after.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

stormcruiser
    Holy shit...the straw for the can went in side the throtle body~~oh my goodness.....I was so scared....what is going to happen????? I just took it for a ride...and it seemed okay....oh my god...I can't get it out anyway.....Is it okay?

uh, i think the straw would have melted away from all the heat from the engine.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

galAZNt
    :shock:
    yep, it should melt or what else could happen?? might build up some more dirt?