The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: I talked to a tech guy at Eibach...

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13
    Dram3000

I talked to a tech guy at Eibach...

I talked to a tech guy at Eibach about my 2001 Galant I-4. He told me that since my car is only a 4 cylinder, the springs would actually raise my car, also they would void their million mile warranty, and he just overall recommended I don't do it in general.

He asked me why I even bought the pro-kit since I only have a 4 cylinder. And I explained to him that when I went to purchase the springs and I asked about the "V-6" listing, the guy told me that they simply list the amount of drop according to the V-6 model since it is heavier. That way if you have an I-4, you'd simply know to expect a tiny bit less drop. If Eibach listed the drop according to the I-4, and then you have a V-6 and get more than what is listed, then there would be that issue. Sounded all reasonable enough for me.

Just for good measure, I told the guy at Eibach that I knew a couple people who have put the pro-kit on their I-4 Galants (which I actually don't), and it simply didn't drop the car as much as what they list. He sounded sort of surprised that that their cars even got lowered at all, and then went on to say that their rides must be super duper bouncy, like dangerously bouncy. I then replied by saying that the weight difference of my car and a V-6 is only like 100-200+ pounds depending on what model V-6, so how can it be that huge of a difference...and that it would be like just having one more full size adult in the car.

He went on to say that the spring was specifically designed for the V-6 only, and if you don't have a V-6, then don't put them on.

I know as many different people on this site with the Eibach pro-kit, at least a couple people have I-4s. For those who do, how much of what the Eibach guy told me applies to what you've experienced. It's not that I do not believe the tech guy, I really do believe him, I'm just a little skeptical. Does your car bounce excessively, did it raise your car, etc? Anyone know of anybody that has this setup?

After taking into consideration what I was told, it looks as if I'm going to sell my springs. If anyone is looking for the Eibach pro-kit springs for a 99 and up Galant, let me know. I'll sell them for $200 flat, that would include me shipping them. They are brand new, sitting in the box.

This leaves me to ask, are there any lowering springs for a 2001 Galant I-4, that lists a drop in the neighborhood of 1.2" - 1.6". I know a few companies offer 1.8" drops, but that just seems to essentially be 2". I'd really like to be only about 1.5" even after if the springs settle at all.

Man, I know this was long, but I wanted to put it out there, to receive more feedback. Thanks yall. Peace.

Senior TGC Member
    Another tech I spoke with thought I was flat out lying about my funny drop on my V6 since they're "precision engineered pieces of equipment with very low variance tolerances" and came pretty close to calling me a liar. I dunno...seems the 4 bangers do just fine with Pro-Kits, I haven't seen anyone specifically market springs for the 4 cylinders though.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

Galant 2NR
    I used to work for a spring manufacturer and I can tell you that this guy was giving you the typical talk about putting springs on a car that they weren't designed for that we always gave customers. Lawyer talk for CYA...

Many people put springs on cars with different motors than what they were designed.

You should look for a company advertising 4cyl. 3G Eclipse springs and just use those...

Good Luck...

I believe both Sprint Suspension and Progress Technology make springs for the I4 Eclipse/Galant.

with all he said have u ever thought about the 3g eclipse? i mean the RS eclispe is lighter than ur galant and the GT spyder is heavier than ur cars...and yea eibach lists the same sprigns for all of the 3g's...spyder 4cyl 6cyl

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Dram3000
    First off, thanks for the comments and stuff, I appreciate it.

Yeah actually I did ask the tech guy what model Eclipse pro-kit springs can go right onto my Galant. He gave me the "I can't offer that information" speech. But what was weird is that he did mention a couple models that - I'm almost positive he said could be shared with an Eclipse. I remember one as being a Chrysler Sebring, I think...maybe I heard him wrong.

I was even trying to sense for any indirect hints he might of being trying to offer me, but without actually telling. I didn't catch anything. The guy I happen to talk with probably happened to be a real "by the book - company man" or something. It's all cool though, I'll figure things out.

I called Intrax today, and presented them with the exact same case scenario. They essentially told me the same thing as the Eibach guy, that they designed their spring for the V-6 only. But the Intrax guy was way more loose with giving me information I was after. He gave me all the right hints and emphasis like..."our springs will go right on your car, perfect, no problem"..."it won't drop as much in front, so the back end may look like it is lower than the front"..."the ride will bit a bit stiffer, than if it was a V-6"...etc...but then ended with saying..."Intrax wouldn't recommend you put them on your car"...hahaha, for real too. I even started crackin up. But I got what he was really saying.

So, the 3g Eclipse and 8g Galant share indentical factory spring/strut setups? I got to hit up my dealer tomorrow, so I'll ask someone for a definitive answer to that question. But once again, thanks for everyone feedback.

Tiller
    the guy was just protecting his ass... nothing else... the ProKit will be fine on your car...

i got the prokit and i can put 2 fingers on the back wheel well and about 4 in the front... i still think that its not low enough, but it does lower the car some.

Tiller
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken
    i got the prokit and i can put 2 fingers on the back wheel well and about 4 in the front... i still think that its not low enough, but it does lower the car some.
    dude, that's terrible... maybe you guys with the 4 should nto be using the ProKit...

Alister_McRae
    So, what companies do make lowering kits for the 14 for a fact?

SOLOUNIQUE
    YO DREAM I GOT YOU ON THEM SPRINGS, LET ME KNOW HOW MUCH SHIPPING IS TO HAWAII AND WE CAN DO THIS! ONE, EMAIL ME [email protected]

You should just get coilovers so you can adjust the height to what you want it to be.
    Chapin y Boriqua que mezcla

You want springs for your I4 go here:

http://www.ptuning.com/html/Item-Desc.cfm?...odelDesc=Galant

I got mine, not installed yet, waiting for the KYBs to come in, that way I can install everything at once.