The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Steering Column Noise/Vibration

Showing results 1 to 3 of 3
    polarduke

Steering Column Noise/Vibration

This one is weird. 96' Galant S (auto):

When I give it alot of gas starting from a dead stop, either going straight or to the right, there is this noise from the engine compartment that I can feel in the steering column. It is a loud torque (straining) clicking sort of noise, like when too much pressure is being applied to something. When I let up on the gas, it stops.

The car seems to steer normal, and the noise or strained feeling in the steering isn't there when I just ease up to speed or don't turn very sharp.

Does this sound serious? Or might it just be a bushing on the sway bar or something? I don't know too much about the Galant steering system.

Thanks,
    Jeff

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Seems like all of us 7Gers have that lil problem,I'm not 100% sure but I think it is what i call the knuckle. Under the hood by the firewall there should be like a lil boot on the steering thing a mi jig I bet the boot on it is torn(like all of ours are). I never fixed mine cuz (well you know the story) but check it out, I hear the boot is there to prevent dirt and dust to get in there or maybe the bushing inside there is wearing out.

To me it seems all the 7G's come like that cuz when i thought it was me bugging I went over to Denvers and noticed that his 7G does and sounded the same way mine did.

I think Manybrews had answered this question before, its somewhere around here.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

polarduke

Still looking for an answer here...

The noise is still happening. When it occurs it seems like the strained torque feel is coming from around where the steering column meets the individual linkage near the wheels. Any thoughts?