The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 2002 Galant speedo, tach and odometer not working

Showing results 1 to 3 of 3

2002 Galant speedo, tach and odometer not working

My daughter came home from work last week and said her gauges weren't working, when I went out and started her car everything seemed to be working correctly.

Yesterday I replaced her radio with and aftermarket one. She went to work and everything seemed to be working. She came home and the speedo, tach and odometer (no mileage in window) are not working. Everything else on dash seems to be working fine. I checked the dash fuse (7.5a) and it was good, I pulled the dash and reseated the connectors. Still nothing.

Any ideas or roads to go down?

Thanks

I have the same problem...my tach still works tho...question has been asked before a couple times...just leads to dead ends

The problem I'm most suspicious of is that the radio wiring harness has a vss(vehicle speed sensor) wire..in my case it touched metal while it was live and caused a problem. Changed fuses and clusters...the speed sensor is internal(built in the transmission) in this model unlike earlier 8g... sooo ya... I believe the vss wire runs to the ecu and shorted a certain area that operates the cluster functions. Did you disconnect battery when installing? Also the vss wire is the black/yellow or maybe yellow/black its supposed to be left disconnected...it's purpose is for navigation systems
    Last edited by juicejax; 02-22-2015 at 11:24 AM

Thanks"

Funny thing this morning I let her car warm up while shoveling snow. it wasn't working when I started it, then when I went to turn it off everything was working. Something strange. I will have to check all the connections.

I didn't disconnect the battery, I should have. I did use the kit from metro so I had no open wires to short.