The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 2002 Galant Ticking While Running.

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

2002 Galant Ticking While Running.

Like the title says, my g has a ticking coming out of the engine when it idles and gets faster when I push on the gas. I'm pretty sure it is sticky lifters (aren't the lifters hydraulic?) which is causing the noise. It doesn't seem to affect the car at all but it is a little irritating. Any suggestions on how to fix the issue? The simpler and the cheaper the better lol.

Inspect the lifters and clean them would be the cheapest way to quiet them down. then changing oil religiously helps prevent it.
    02 Galant ES I4 ~ DD. JDM Kit/BBS LM Gold/D2/EvoRecaro/EGR/JL Audio/Eclipse Audio/Greddy/Injen/Project Kics/Brembos
    2010 Lexus IS350c Tungsten Pearl Mica/Volk GTM/H&R Springs/F sport intake/Project Kics/Lems Shift knob
    2010 Lexus IS-F Ultrasonic Blue/Volk TE37/HKS Hipermax IV GT/Ventross Kit/Lexon/JoezPerformance/Tom's/Project Kics/RR-racing tune
    2009 Acura TL w/Tech package A-spec Kit/ BBS LM/Tein

Quote Originally Posted by dronesurfboards View Post
    Inspect the lifters and clean them would be the cheapest way to quiet them down. then changing oil religiously helps prevent it.
    Just changed the oil about a month or so ago, doubt I have the tools to clean the lifters unfortunately.

Is your car the 2.4L or the 3.0L engine?

If you want to fix this, you can bleed your hydraulic lifters in assembly lube. Just clean each lifter with brake parts cleaner first, then submerge hydraulic lifters in assembly lube (fill a cup or something) squeezing the lifters to bleed the air out. Once done, re-install. You will hear a slight clatter when starting up, let it idle for a bit then go for a 15 minute drive. Make sure you pay attention to the proper re-installation of the lifter and use proper torque specs when putting the rockers back on.

I fixed a 300k mile engine this way that suffered from excessive ticking due to wear. FYI I used clevite assembly lube. The original reason I was doing head work was because a broken timing belt. We did this as an experiment with fantastic results to this day no tick 20k miles later.

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

Its the 4 cyl. Good to know, thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by keith6110 View Post
    Is your car the 2.4L or the 3.0L engine?

If you want to fix this, you can bleed your hydraulic lifters in assembly lube. Just clean each lifter with brake parts cleaner first, then submerge hydraulic lifters in assembly lube (fill a cup or something) squeezing the lifters to bleed the air out. Once done, re-install. You will hear a slight clatter when starting up, let it idle for a bit then go for a 15 minute drive. Make sure you pay attention to the proper re-installation of the lifter and use proper torque specs when putting the rockers back on.

I fixed a 300k mile engine this way that suffered from excessive ticking due to wear. FYI I used clevite assembly lube. The original reason I was doing head work was because a broken timing belt. We did this as an experiment with fantastic results to this day no tick 20k miles later.
    Isn't assembly lube kind of thick?

I read the service manual and used diesel to clean and bleed.

I had brand new lifters when I installed mine, but I'm pretty sure you have to bleed them, and then install them bled otherwise you can end up bending a valve

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

Quote Originally Posted by Galantman03 View Post
    I had brand new lifters when I installed mine, but I'm pretty sure you have to bleed them, and then install them bled otherwise you can end up bending a valve
    You want to clean them in diesel, have 3 buckets of diesel, first bucket is heavy duty cleaning area, 2nd is to wash out the dirty from first buckets and 3rd is to really leave it fresh. After that submerge them in clean oil and pump them full till you can't get any more in and air bubbles are gone. Then reinstall

To do this you need a paper clip and 3 buckets for diesel and a small one for oil. Press the inner ball piston of the lash adjuster in until it bottoms out while submerged.

I did this and it worked for me for about 1 week. later on I realized that a failing Cam Shaft Position sensor will cause the click as well. That is what ultimately fixed it for me. A tip is never use mobile 1 oil in your car, it leaves yellow oil varnish on every thing and that will cause things to stick, especially HLA's. Every car I've seen use mobile 1 including mine for the first 150K miles has been coated internally by yellow varnish. If you really love your car use motul 8100 xcess or 8100 c clean. It's cheap if you order it through world pac at carquest. and use MANN/Mahle/Hengst filters.

You will see black coke/carbon come out when you clean them.

Figures... I use mobile 1 synthetic, and just did an oil change. Looks like I will be switching soon. I gotta bleed the lifters too, I have the ticking. I wonder if the yellow varnish had anything to do with them acting up.
    -Casey

02 Galant ES 2.4
    91 Plymouth Laser RST

One word, AMSOIL.

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet02 View Post
    Figures... I use mobile 1 synthetic, and just did an oil change. Looks like I will be switching soon. I gotta bleed the lifters too, I have the ticking. I wonder if the yellow varnish had anything to do with them acting up.
    My thoughts exactly. I believe I use the same stuff and looks like I will be switching.
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES (SCRAPPED)
    1991 Jeep Comanche (SOLD)
    2002 Honda Accord EX (DAILY)
    1998 Eclipse GST (PROJECT)

The owner manual and TSB states not to use synthetic oil in this car. But I do, actually I drive my audi and this car sits unless I need it for camping or something. But I have 200K on it and really the only oil I support is Motul with their good mann, mahle, hengst filters. Motul will actually clean your motor, their 100% synthetic PAO and Estercore. High tbn/ detergency.

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    One word, AMSOIL.
    On the V6 for sure. Makes that baby purr like a kitten!