The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: lowering help? (i have no real idea.)

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12
    dhk

lowering help? (i have no real idea.)

hey

I've got a 76 Galant, looks pretty tough. got the 76 rims and all. I wanna drop it (shlammed would be nice, but I have a steep driveway). Unfortunately I'm saving for a new engine, so I have little/no cash that I can spend to get it done properly. Is there anything I can do myself?

I know that with the right gear I can cut the front springs but I'll lose spring tension... The back has the old skool struts and gas. I'd remove one of the struts or turn 1 of them over per side, but there are only two/side so this is pretty stupid when it comes to safety. Someone I know said something about letting gas out the suspension in the back but I dont think thats a good idea. It would be lower, but much softer wouldnt it? I know about lowering blocks but that's where money starts to come in......

Yuh..... Cheers

hehe. you have a '76 galant. must be a classic.

sorry im annoying. i know nothing about suspension yet.

dhk
    just about is! If i white walled the stock wheels and polished the hubs up I could almost put it in a museum! Everything is still original and in fatastic condition.... 'cept the engine which now has (i'm sure of it) just about no piston rings, so I go through bout 5l of oil every month! It sat in the old fellas shed for 2-3 years so he sold it. he was going blind and bumped it a couple of times in his drive (dammit) but it's nothing too bad. i think it looks awesome and would make an awesome old skool doriftor![/i]

dhk

this is the 73 galant and its pretty much exactly the same except for the engine and the mirrors are on the front doors, not the front panels. mine's a very cool limey sorta green. looks amazing in summer!

Experienced TGC Member
    Damn thats awsome. At first I thought you meant 7G. I dont know anyone including mitsu who makes any parts for that car. This is the oldest galant I have ever seen. Man we have a real history.

dhk
    yeah, if i want parts i gotta scab off similar age datsuns or corollas or find a wrecking yard that has a galant in there. handles sideways really really well. rolls a bit but harder suspension'll fix that!

Experienced TGC Member
    Man you gotta post pics of that puppy !

To my knowledge their are no aftermarket springs to that would help you out. Unless you have some knowledge of a platform/car that may share the same characterisitics as the '76...

Since you're on a small budget too, I guess cutting the springs is your best option mate.
    [b]<span style='color:blue'>Wes</span>
    The true path to enlightenment is Here
    <-Check it out Maz
    My 7g

[b]<span style='color:darkred'>ClubTGC Shidoshi-Kai Fellowship</span>

Cut/heat the springs would be your only option unless you wanted to hook up some hydro's

www.edelhausrottweilers.com

Drama? I handle 150lb rotties all day, I can handle your drama...

dhk
    mk. thanks people. that's sorta what i thought.

it'll eventually become my project car, so i'll prolly get all this stuff 'modernised'.

Heat? would that involve taking the spring out? would you lose spring strength/tension? i've never heard of it being done like that.

i'll prolly get lowering blocks for the back. anyone know a general sorta price for this? i've heard that if its done cheaply you'll end up with movement in the blocks and cheap metal or somethine...

oh. dude. ur serious. i thought you meant 7G as well... :oops:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dhk)</div><div class='quotemain'>mk. thanks people. that's sorta what i thought.

it'll eventually become my project car, so i'll prolly get all this stuff 'modernised'.

Heat? would that involve taking the spring out? would you lose spring strength/tension? i've never heard of it being done like that.

i'll prolly get lowering blocks for the back. anyone know a general sorta price for this? i've heard that if its done cheaply you'll end up with movement in the blocks and cheap metal or somethine...</div>

When it comes to heating the springs I got to warn you first. I have only done this on a lowrider. 86" Cutlass if I remeber. Heating them you are going to lose some degree of performance out of the spring but to me a better ride overall. You won't get the bad bounce you will with cutting the springs. Basically you get some spring compressors I forgot what there called exactly get the height you want and then heat the springs up with a tourch. It has been awile so ask someone who has either built a lowrider or maybe some of the shops around you that do. They can tell you exactly how. I had a shop do mine before I decide on some hydros.

www.edelhausrottweilers.com

Drama? I handle 150lb rotties all day, I can handle your drama...

dhk
    cheers people! i've done some research and my mate has given me a name of a place that sells lower harder springs for older cars. I can also get the leaves in the back reset.

will probably work out to be about AU$2-300 all up, which is pretty good. At least it will be done properly... thanks for all yer help folks!