neXus

stupid question?

aRKADEAxPD: sup
    seth98es: hi
    aRKADEAxPD: i regular the tgc boards even tho i dont post
    aRKADEAxPD: i have a really dumb question i dont want to post
    aRKADEAxPD: maybe u can answer
    seth98es: ok
    aRKADEAxPD: ok, i kno chrome rims are bad to leave on during the winter because of the salt damage, but does that go for alloy rims as well?
    seth98es: hmmm not sure
    seth98es: thats not really a dumb question though
    aRKADEAxPD: it seems like it is
    seth98es: post it, somebody will know the answer
    aRKADEAxPD: im buying rims for the first time and i dont want to put them on and then have to take them off in like..... a month when it starts snowing bad
    seth98es: im sure its not the greatest conditions for the wheels to be in
    seth98es: but im not sure if it would hurt em

I would reccomend against it, especially in very salty conditions. When NaCl (salt) breaks down, it forms an acid, which, over time, will eat through the clear coat on your wheels. Happened to mine...grrr....

Buy a set of steelies and roll on those for the winter. You'll thank yourself for spending the extra $100 (or less)

NightHawkTL
    i wouldn't think so, I think alot of cars come stock with alloys and run all season, I have stock GTZ alloys and been on them for 3 1/2 years, no probs at all

Diesel
    salt will destroy any wheels finish if not cleaned regularly...

it's a pain in the arse to be out washing wheels in 20 degree temps too...

if you plan on buying some new rims, i'd hold off on putting them on unitl spring, unless you plan to wash them 1 or 2 times a week...

neXus
    Its gonna be garage kept throughout the winter, and I wouldnt mind just spraying it off here and there. I live in Cincinnati, Ohio and our winters can vary from being mild to moderate, so I guess Ill just have to play it out.