The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Shifting gears in A/T

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18
    Atlanta - shout out to San Pedro and Panama - que sopa!?

Shifting gears in A/T

i did a search and i don't think that my question was answered.

Question: when changing gears from 1 - 4, should i let my foot off the gas when changing? i'm not sure how the TC will handle it if i leave my foot on the gas - long term wise.

when racing is it ok to keep your foot on the gas when changing gears?

any insight would be helpful.

thanks.
    2004 Pontiac Grand Am GT // 3.4L V6
    ____

The SPOT!! - - Dirty South Imports

oh yeah....i have a 01 ES V6. i just got another tranny installed cuz the other (original) stopped working. the tranny i have now is from a '99....it has the transmission filter on it. i know that the newer ones don't have that filter or that it is built in.
    ____

id recommend to install an extra tranny cooler. that should definatly help longterm reliability. i went to the track this past week, and shifting it manually, i was able to shave off .3 secs of my 1/4 mile time. i upshifted arround 6, staying on the throttle during the shift.
    [email protected] <- '01 ES V6 (detuned for daily commutes)

Black '94 Audi S4 soon RS2'd running 28 psi
    Chipset [X]|Injectors[X]|Turbo[X]|RS2 Manifold[X]|Bosch 3-BAR MAP[X]

i wasn't sure if keeping on the throttle or not would make a difference on my tranny - as far as putting too much stress on it. but is keeping your foot on the gas and changing it manually the same as the car being in D/4th and changing on its own?
    ____

yeah, the computer will still shift, but at different rpms.

When at the track, I just leave mine in third (shutup Shane ) and let the tranny do the work. Since the transmission is adaptive, after about the third practice run, it'll shift at right around 6 consistently.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

i remember reading when i did a search that i can reset my ecu and ride the car hard so that it can adapt to my driving style. does it stay that way or does it eventually go back to normal?
    ____

1) there is no need to lift on the gas whilst shifting. the 40 and 50 series automatically retard the timing during shifting to dampen shifts.
    2)an additional cooler shouldnt be needed during standard driving, as the trans doesnt produce much heat when the torque converter is locked. in fact, the factory cooler is MORE than adaquate for 99 percent of all driving.
    3)the cars shift about 20 ms faster when manually shifted, as compared to just leaving the car in drive (if you have the sportronic).

Senior TGC Member

Re: Shifting gears in A/T

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BiGSHUN)</div><div class='quotemain'>i did a search and i don't think that my question was answered.</div>

That's because I deleted my original post I forgot who it was that told me their tranny fell apart because they kept their foot on it all the time while manually shifting...better to be slow than sorry right? But Manybrews is right, the transmission reduces engine output during shifts to make it smoother.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>1) there is no need to lift on the gas whilst shifting. Â*the 40 and 50 series automatically retard the timing during shifting to dampen shifts.
    2)an additional cooler shouldnt be needed during standard driving, as the trans doesnt produce much heat when the torque converter is locked. Â* in fact, the factory cooler is MORE than adaquate for 99 percent of all driving.
    3)the cars shift about 20 ms faster when manually shifted, as compared to just leaving the car in drive (if you have the sportronic).</div>

how would you explain my better times at the track then ?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FRCFD6)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>1) there is no need to lift on the gas whilst shifting. Â*the 40 and 50 series automatically retard the timing during shifting to dampen shifts.
    2)an additional cooler shouldnt be needed during standard driving, as the trans doesnt produce much heat when the torque converter is locked. Â* in fact, the factory cooler is MORE than adaquate for 99 percent of all driving.
    3)the cars shift about 20 ms faster when manually shifted, as compared to just leaving the car in drive (if you have the sportronic).</div>

how would you explain my better times at the track then ?</div>
    there's more than just shifting to racing.

Senior TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScootinIntegra
    how would you explain my better times at the track then ?
    there's more than just shifting to racing.[/quote]

Yep. You can have the most efficient manual tranny and still lose every race. Just try shifting everytime you hit 2k rpm in a Civic. You won't get very far.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

Experienced TGC Member HeadAche's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fishboy55)</div><div class='quotemain'>When at the track, I just leave mine in third (shutup Shane ) and let the tranny do the work. Since the transmission is adaptive, after about the third practice run, it'll shift at right around 6 consistently.</div>

I wasnt going to say anything, well not really... did you got those front splitters on yet, forgot to ask you? lol.. leave it in third..hehehe, sorry had to laugh again..
    I Shook You At The Track, My Boyz Threw Asprin On The Floor, They Said Now You Gotta Headache...

The illiterate of the twenty-first century will not be those who can not read or write, but those who can not learn, un-learn and re-learn.

thanks for all the help. since i had my tranny swopped (sp) it seems to be better than the original. shifting is a lot smoother. the only prob i had w/ the one now is that i needed an axle seal...atf was pouring out of the tranny.

now that i have the ride back, i'm gonna test out the tranny more....ie shifting gears.
    ____

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FRCFD6)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>1) there is no need to lift on the gas whilst shifting. Â*the 40 and 50 series automatically retard the timing during shifting to dampen shifts.

how would you explain my better times at the track then ?</div>
    didja miss this part here?
    quote "3)the cars shift about 20 ms faster when manually shifted, as compared to just leaving the car in drive "

hehe,,yup i did....damn X-eyed vision

here is one more thing ....

Automatic transmission fluid will provide 100,000 miles of service before oxidation occurs under normal operating temperatures of about 170°F. Above normal operating temperatures, the oxidation rate doubles (useful life of fluid is cut in half) with each 20° increase in temperature.
    The approximate life expectancy for transmission fluid at various temperatures is as follows:

175°F 100,000 miles
    195°F 50,000 miles
    212°F 25,000 miles
    235°F 12,000 miles
    255°F 6,250 miles
    275°F 3,000 miles
    295°F 1,500 miles
    315°F 750 miles
    335°F 325 miles
    355°F 160 miles
    375°F 80 miles
    390°F 40 miles
    415°F Less than 30 minutes

taken off howstuffworks.com

Senior TGC Member
    What I'm also curious about is why other manufacturers replace their tranny fluid at 15k intervals, with a flush every 30k, while Mitsubishi does 30k replace, 60k flush.