The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Steering wheel vibrates when at a stop light.

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14

Steering wheel vibrates when at a stop light.

My steering wheel vibrates like crazy when i am at a stop light. Just yesterday i got my alignment and got my tires balanced. Then i pulled up to a stop light and the whole steering wheel was vibrating like crazy. But when i drive, it goes away. What is up with that?

Sounds like your throttle body is dirty and needs to be cleaned. If you search, you'll find instructions for how to clean it.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

clone2020
    "Steering wheel vibrations at idle in drive when the brakes are applied"

I have yet to find a solution to this problem.

If your car runs rough most of the time then cleaning the throttle body might help but the vibrations only happen at idle in drive when the brakes are applied. When you let go of the brakes, the vibrations are gone.

This happens even after cleaning the throttle body, reset ECU, replaced spark plugs, wires, coils, rotors and motor mounts...

-Mike.

Gilhuly
    Have you tried resetting the ECU by disconnecting the neg battery terminal for an hour or so?

If you have a 4 cyl your plugs and wires could be shot by 30K

by disconnecting the negative batttery terminal, does that really have something to do with it though.

Gilhuly
    It's possible. People have reported very positive outcomes from resetting the ECU. I'm not one of them. I've never had the problem. How many miles do you have? 4 or 6 cyl? I can tell you it has nothing to do with the work you just had done. You have a rough running condition. It could be a variety of things. Check that all your vacuum hoses are tight w/ no leaks, that your intake tube is snug all the way along it. Beyond that, I think you're into electronics like throttle position sensor etc...

2000 Mitsubishi Galant,
    V4,
    49,000 miles

Gilhuly
    Have you replaced your plugs/coilpacks and wires yet on this car? The 4 cyl cars' plugs are really only reliable to 30k.

Nope. Havent done that yet. Probably should. Havent got a tune up yet either.

Gilhuly
    Forget the "tune up". I'm not even sure what that means anymore. Replace the plugs/coilpacks and wires, leave the negative battery terminal off for like an hour and you'll be all set. Make sure your throttle body is clean.

Hoopcrazyt8
    My steering wheel vibrates when i stop at a stop sign or a light it gos crazy but when i put the gear into N and it would stop and when the car start to get goin it goes awayin higher RPM i just did rotor and cap and spark plugs and wires today and it still doin the same shit i'm tried all the problems with my G i talked someone at work he said it might have something to do with tranny and fluid has any one of heard of that please have some feed backs ans tell me what to do next i'm running out of ideas?

clone2020
    Does it only happen within the first 30 minutes after you start the car?

Does it go away when the car is all warmed up?

This is a quote from another 8G owner.
    "My wife and I bought a 99' gallant in December of 98'. We replaced brake pads, had rotors turned twice, and then replaced with new ones, front bushings replaced (to stop the vibrations in the steering), and several alignments all before the warranty expired (luckily). After the warranty expired we had the brake pads and rotors replaced yet again (with different non-Mitsubishi parts) and finally solved the brake problem (so we thought). It is 03' now and we have 130k miles on the vehicle, the windshield wipers, cruise control, and the air conditioner all have began to work part time! Oh, and we are starting to get the brake problem back again (much less severe than before).The car has had it share of problems, but overall been a fairly decent vehicle. The motor will surely outlast all the other components on the vehicle."

I'm also one of the many who is trying to solve this problem.

-Mike.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hoopcrazyt8)</div><div class='quotemain'>My steering wheel vibrates when i stop at a stop sign or a light it gos crazy but when i put the gear into N and it would stop and when the car start to get goin it goes awayin higher RPM i just did rotor and cap and spark plugs and wires today and it still doin the same shit i'm tried all the problems with my G i talked someone at work he said it might have something to do with tranny and fluid has any one of heard of that please have some feed backs ans tell me what to do next i'm running out of ideas?</div>

when this happens, does your rpm's get really low? sounds like u need to clean your tb.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Hoopcrazyt8
    when it starts to shacks the rpm is around 500 or so which is below the idle b/c is in gear and some load on it . and i have already clean the Tb and change the wire and plugs and today i did the tranny fluid and it still give me the same problem. i was wonder was it be motor mount that can cause this problem