The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: One key's security transponder doesn't work.

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

One key's security transponder doesn't work.

Today I left my wife our new 01 G. She went to start it and it would start and then die. When I got home I tried it with my key and it started right up. Then I tried her key and the security light came on so I thought the key might be a special one. I read in the owners manual that there was a transponder in it. If a key is bad can it be reprogrammed or does the key have to be replaced? How much is a new key? Thanks. It is a good thing we have 4 cars in the family or my wife would have killed me and or the G.

maybe the key that was given to you when u bought ur car used wasn't programmed or was programmed incorrectly. you are gonna have to go to the dealer to get the key reprogrammed if the key itself is still good.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

yep... it needs to be programmed.
    all keys must be programmed in at the same time. any key not present during the programming will be deleted.

When the dealer did some work on my car last month they replaced the main computer. That is probably what made the other two keys not work. The question is why didn't they know that would hapen and ask me to bring the other keys in?!

woah sorry for the little off topic but are all the 8gs keys transponder? I would have never known, but had a hint because of the big black end on the key that there was something else.
    -Nathan
    member of Team DNA
    www.dnaracing.net

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(keithert)</div><div class='quotemain'>When the dealer did some work on my car last month they replaced the main computer. Â*That is probably what made the other two keys not work. Â*The question is why didn't they know that would hapen and ask me to bring the other keys in?!</div>
    they just slipped up.
    call them, tell them that when they replaced your PCM they neglected to reprogram all your keys (which would need to be done).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wolfman)</div><div class='quotemain'>woah sorry for the little off topic but are all the 8gs keys transponder? Â*I would have never known, but had a hint because of the big black end on the key that there was something else.</div>
    nope.. I think they started in 01.

check your key. if the METAL part of it has a letter or a tiny dot dimpled into it near the rubber end, its a transponder key.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>nope.. I think they started in 01.

check your key. Â*if the METAL part of it has a letter or a tiny dot dimpled into it near the rubber end, its a transponder key.</div>

it was in 2000 that the transponder key was first used in the 8g's. i also believe that the ones with the tansponder key also had a key head that was slightly thicker.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.