The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Best all season tire?

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8
    BlankMan

Best all season tire?

I did some comparisons and for the price/performance I;m looking real close at the ContiExtreme Contact in a 215-45-17 size. $89 at Tire Rack. I want to see if anyone else has a better tire suggestion? I'll use these through winter, I think, so the better light snow/slush traction found on the Conti's is key. Thanks for any input.

*edit* Sorry just noticed I posted to the worng forum. Can a mod move? Thanks.

J

GalantHL
    The Conti's at that price for performance, you can't beat them. The closest I would suggest that would give the Conti's a run for the money is the Sumitomo HTR+ or the Dunlop SP 5000. Even with those, you're running up towards $100+ per tire. Sumi's are a bit cheaper than the SP 5000, but they're more geared more for wet and dry conditions....while still doing a decent job in the snow. SP 5000 are better but you also have the added cost for it. With that, SP5000 (or Dunlops in general) wear quickly. If you have some extra cash, go with the SP 5000 but the Conti's are the "econo" alternative.

So far, my friends that have the Conti's can't complain. Being in Wisconsin, you have to give up a little summer performance for winter capabilities if you're running one tire year round. The Conti's tread are geared for harsh weather, resembles more like at snow tire than anything if you ask me. Both of my friends own Audi's and they love the fact that snow doesn't scare them anymore. Sure beat the OEM tires!

kickenv6
    I have a tire guy that I have known for a while. He was originally going to suggest the Conte/xtream for my car as well in a 225/50/16. He went to order and they were in the middle of moving and the tire was going to be backordered untill Dec. I could not wait that long, so he set me up with some Yoko's in the same size. He still recommends the conte, but said the Yoko's would be good too. It has been raining ever since I have had them put on and they handle very well. I would recommend either tire, but if you can find the conte's go with them.

akiraflux
    i bought sumitomo htr+'s from tirerack at $82 apiece. 225/45/17

from what i heard these or conti's are the best you can get for all season.

oh...also...dunlop = sumitomo (sumitomo being the parent company)

BlankMan
    Thanks for the comments, guys. Sounds like ContiExtremes for me. *BUT* I just found another tire that may have just as good or better a price/performance deal: "ESSENZA Type 210 R". Anyone ever heard of it? Supposedly it's a new tuner/performance all-season tire that was just launched (2003 Q4) by Goodyear. I've found it for about $65/tire. I did a bit of search and - maybe b/c it's so new - didn't find a whole lot on it other than it's rated at 380 A A - which is damn close to the ContiExtreme 400 A A. What I need to find out, though is it's rain/snow traction.

Any help on this new tire is appreciated!

J

GalantHL
    BlankMan,

You might want to contact the guys over at Tire Rack. Those guys are a fountain of knowledge.

That's a big bummer to hear about the Conti's. I just heard myselft that production has been halted for some reason till mid December. SON OF A ^&()*^!!!

Anyways, I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get an alternative tire myself. It's that time to buy new tires as well. I might as well get the SP 5000 and spend the extra bucks. At least I know I'll be getting a tire that's been tested and tested over and over again with flying colors for our all season needs.

I know this is a little late, but I just saw this thread. Did you like the ContiExtremes? I ordered them through Discount Tire for $75 a tire, 205/55/16. (Pricematch from tirerack.com) I have to commute to Sea-Tac 6 days a week pretty much all highway, and my tires are bald as hell. At 70 miles round trip, it makes for an interesting ride. They seem to be the best tire out there and that price is incredible.

BlankMan
    Yup - got the ContiExtreme's - been on the car with my new 17" rims for 3 weeks now. Already experience rain and a bit of snow with them and I couldn't be more happy with the set. I ended up getting them for $86/tire (215/45/17) at tirerack. I gotta say, cust. serverice at tire rack is top notch, too.

J