The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Click of Death

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8
    nme7

Click of Death

Well I thought I would be problem free for awhile, but this morning I had some serious issue. I am about a block away from the freeway entrance and then I heard a click/pop sound from the engine. Next it was pure silence. The engine had died. I pulled over to the side and trying restarting the car. I can hear the starter cranking over and over but it sounds like the car has no gas. Btw, it does have at least a half a tank left. I had it towed to the dealer (unforunately!) and their tech said the engine code suggests a problem with something in the timing belt area. I had the timing belt, all tensioners, crankshaft pulley, and timing belt cover (was torn) replaced last April 03. They won't know for sure until tomorrow.

My question is... has anyone had a similar experience? If so, what caused the problem and how did you fix it?

1) Gooooooooddddddd luck
    2) I had a similar problem. Doing 70 to 75 (Passing). Silence from the engine, all lights lit.
    3) Before doing anything else. Quick and easy - you probably need a new engine.
    4) If the engine turns, (after you replace the belt only do not replace anything else) do a preasure test on the cylinders. See if there is any leak. If you do not see any presure - new engine is needed.
    5) I know - I rebuilded mine in december. Victim of the Balance shaft belt. I posted here about it.
    6) Also, check the transmission at that time, my tranny got killed by the engine at the same time.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rfpa1
    1) Gooooooooddddddd luck
    2) I had a similar problem. Doing 70 to 75 (Passing). Silence from the engine, all lights lit.
    4) If the engine turns, (after you replace the belt only do not replace anything else) do a preasure test on the cylinders. See if there is any leak. If you do not see any presure - new engine is needed.
    5) I know - I rebuilded mine in december. Victim of the Balance shaft belt. I posted here about it.
    6) Also, check the transmission at that time, my tranny got killed by the engine at the same time.
    exact same thing happened to me about a year ago, except my tranny was fine, balance shaft belt broke and threw timing off.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Quote Originally Posted by peanotation
    Quote Originally Posted by rfpa1
    1) Gooooooooddddddd luck
    exact same thing happened to me about a year ago, except my tranny was fine, balance shaft belt broke and threw timing off.
    Me too with my first 7G.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Wowsers :shock:

Im glad I got both belts replaced when i did my timing belt. I did

Tensionser
    Timing belt
    Balanceshaft belt
    Front engine seal
    Some seal in the valve covers
    blah blah blah

Took my timing belt in to get changed and a few months later, the balance belt broke. Why the hell doesn't Mitsubishi include this belt in their timing belt change? Had I known the belt even existed to begin with, I would have had them change it too.

nme7
    Yeah that's messed up. Of all people, Mitsu dealers should know to replace the balance belt at the SAME time as the timing belt. The only reason why they wouldn't suggest it is to make more money off you later since they would have to charge you the outrageous labor cost to replace it.

I found out that the crankshaft sensor had failed which caused the car to die immediately and not start. I have read online that some people get the sensor wet when cleaning their engines and then subsenquently the car doesn't start.

I've just about had it with the dealer raping me everytime. Maybe we should start a thread about dealer rape incidents or start a hotline or something. Does anyone know a reputable and inexpensive place to repair Galants in the SoCal area? My only other option is to go to PepBoys.

I know what you are talking about. What I have been doing is taking my car to a local guy that checks my car and read the codes for me. Only If I need some work that I have not done on my car I take it to him and he knows about because I told him. He understands and work with me (for a small fee).

I started to do all the work myself. I even learned how to rebuild the engine and tranny (by force) this pass december. Now I have to practice painting.

My next visit to him will be for full alignment and some brake work that I do not like to do.