The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Shakes and bucks and crap!

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18
    My99GTZ

Shakes and bucks and crap!

Okay so I'm thinking its just a dirty throttle body but I want to hear the otehr issues it may be so I'm prepared... My car especially at night or after driving for a while when I get on the gas at high RPM's bucks and jerks around... not sure if its not enough air getting into the engine, or a fuel problem, or maybe exhaust? Like a clogged up cat or something???

99TBP-ES
    Could be number of things, clogged TB like you said, clogged injectors, clogged fuel filter, bad air filter.

I would also check your tranny fluid level,color to make sure it is still good.

My99GTZ
    Okay.. well I know the tranny fluid is fine, that got checked recently with my oil change... I'm wondering if It would be a cat problem because I have noticed that typical exhaust smell every so often when going up hills or after it does its bucking thing.... also I think it started after my new muffler.... the air filter is clean and brand new, I thought it was just injectors at first and I used some fuel cleaner and it did nothing.... so I'm thinking dirty TB or maybe an exahust issue...

99TBP-ES
    I have never heard of a Catalityc convertor causeing a problem like that unless it is clogged and the exhaust is not getting out and backing up back inot the engine.

My99GTZ
    Okay so I cleaned out my T/B today which was barely even dirty, alot cleaner then I expected which leads me to believe that was not the problem. I also noticed that it only does it when it first starts up and only after its been driven for a lengthy period of time and its more prone to act up at night and in cooler or more humid weather???? Anyone have a clue?

CT_GalantV6
    Hey there 99GTZ-- Is this happening only at idle or during driving? If at idel, it may be a clogged injector. I cant help but think you have some kind of spark problem. Heres why, lets say you have small crack in your distributor cap, or maybe a coil. When you start the engine cold, rough running until things heat up causing everything to expand some (everthing expands and contracts with cold/heat) causing the prob to go away. Then as things get heated up because you getting on the gas for higher RPM's, causing the failing item to basically overheat because its faulty to begin with. This kind of situation would certainly give you a problem on a cold start and under a heavy load (pedal to the metal).

I would say its not, fuel, intake, exhaust, computer, brakes, tranny, suspension.

Check your plugs, wires, coils, cap. I bet you'll find your problem in there somewhere.

Could be a plug?
    Love,
    Matt

My99GTZ
    Well I had a lengthy drive today and it ran fine for a good 75 miles and then started to act up a little bit, mostly in 3rd gear once I got up near 3000RPMs the bucking and stuttering would kick in, I'm really starting to think its along the lines of spark plugs now, I'm taking the car to my mechanic on Monday to see whats up... on the brighter side of things, the rides all nice and clean with fresh oil and an A/C Charge I at least froze my nuts off on the ride

CT_GalantV6
    Well although your prob is still there it still apears to me that it is some kind of spark/electrical/electronic problem because its intermintent. Usually when a mechanical item fails, its broken and wont work until its fixed, Electrical items can and do work, then dont work, then work, then dont work again. Looks like you may have to bring to your shop for repair.

Please keep me informed as to what ends up being the prob, I am in a '99ES v6 with 133k miles. I havent had your kind of problem but the info would be nice to have for the future. Thanks.....

TitaniumZ
    I had a 1989 Thunderbird SC that had the same symptoms. What it seemed like was a distributor that was 180 degrees out. Since the T-Bird had electronic ignition, that could not be it. It never did it when I took it to the dealer for repair, and I finally was able to videotape the phenomenon.

Turns out it was a failing crank position sensor, so the EEC did not know when the appropriate cylinder was at TDC. The spark would fire out of sequence, until the sensor re-set itself.

Might be a possibility worth investigating.

My99GTZ
    Yeah last night I checked the spark plug wires with the easy home method of spraying them w/ water at night and looking for sparks and archin but nothing so its not wires.... I have an appointment next Saturday... wayyyy far away but I have class and work everyday and need my car and they're closed this weekend so...

CT_GalantV6
    Thats one possiblity shot down, good try though. Thanks for that info TitaniumZ.

My99GTZ

Latest Update

Okay I am no thinking its a fuel system problem.... I have 5 days untill it goes to the shop and I'm thinking its definitely a fuel system thing..... so far I've cleaned the TB, used some good fuel injector cleaning stuff, changed where I got my gas, checked for bad wires on my sparks.... the latest twist in this story now is that when I'm below an 1/8th of a tank of gas their is no problem and the car runs 100% absolutely fine..... which leads me to believe its probably something with the fuel pump??? Any suggestions or ideas??

bam462
    when was the last time you had you wheels rotated and ballanced or is this goin on while you rev it up in netral also

My99GTZ
    this definitely isn't a wheel issue... but good try...

My99GTZ
    And now since my little incident with almost rolling it..... (See dearly departed section) Its gone..... my shaking and bucking issue has ceased????????????

My99GTZ
    Okay just to update the shaking came back and now comes and goes, occasionaly it throws the SES light, well I had the light read and it came back "Throttle Position Sensor" Now I found this interesting and looked under the hood and found some exposed wiring on a plug near the throttle body looked as if it had been played with, but I pulled the plug to see what would happen and nothing happened to the car, it ran fine with no changes... however I noticed that if I manually open and close the TB a few times that the sputters go away for quit some time........ Any one have a fucken clue? Could I have to much slack in my TB Cable or not enough slack?????????

My99GTZ
    Okay hate to bring up a dead post but I figured out my problem tonight!! Well the bucking and stuff came and went was more felt at night or in the cold.. so last night It got really bad and I mean bad I couldn't go above 3000rpm at all... so I got mad and started looking for shit and I found that it appeared my lil hose coming off the side of my intake was attached but upon further inspection it wasn't attached just appeared that way.. the fucker was loose the whole time and just finally fell off... I put it back on and made sure it was on good and started the car back up and no more problems what so ever the car runs perfect........