The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: yay :-( i think my car is on its deathbed

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

yay :-( i think my car is on its deathbed

ok i was pressing the gas a little bit to get up to 55 mph when while the car was shifting gears it shifted really hard. well now everytime i am a stop light/sign my car almost stalls. i dont know whats wrong. It is in the shop to get checked on right now but i thought taht my fellas at TGC could help me out. anyone know the prob.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Sounds like you and Josh 887 have the same problem with your tranny's. Symptoms like stalling or hesitated acceleration usually points to the torque converter. Now if you are experiencing sluggish acceleration, slipping, or you notice your RPM's are extremely high compared to your speed...then you are looking at transmission problems.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

nope that wasnt the prob. i blew a vaccum hose

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(laxattack2001)</div><div class='quotemain'>nope that wasnt the prob. i blew a vaccum hose</div>

A hose is alot cheaper than a tranny! :shock:

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

clone2020
    How'd you blow a vaccum hose?

Mine usually leak but never blow like a radiator hose. Recently, my PCV grommet was leaking. It was as hard as a rock.

-MIKE.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clone2020)</div><div class='quotemain'>How'd you blow a vaccum hose?</div>

i dont know i didnt ask but it may be that i was runing with no airfilter :-) and didnt have one for like 2 months

Moosh
    Tempting fate?

Question:

How is hesitation and running hard on idle does with a tranny converter.

I think that something is not right in this picture.

I have a 4g64 with A/T just rebuilt. I did not noticed any hoses other than the tranny oil on the tranny that come from the top. If you blew a hose then you loose oil.

Also, the torque converter is made to fill with oil as it turns and this is what causes it to engage in the shaft that is connected to the tranny oil pump. Thus, is not something that breaks just like that. You will break the tranny before the converter.

Well, I suggest that you check the hoses and mark them. Now that Iam thinking, check the gasoline regulator at the end of the rail were the injectors are. Umplug the vacum hose while idle, and if the car stalls, thats aproblem, also if gasoline leaks, go and replace it. (I learn this by watching an old timer doing it on another car)

If they are talking about a vacum hose, then most likely was the one by the egr. And if you run with out air filter you can suck in dirt that can clog the holes (about a pin with) that are before and after the plate on the tb that are connected to the egr and vacum system.