The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: On Board Diagnostics

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16

On Board Diagnostics

Just wondering if anyone has ever tried grounding terminal #1 on the Data Link Connector to try and access a Diagnostic Trouble Code? Also, I'm wondering if anyone knows whether the 7g is OBD-1 or OBD-2? :?

Dark7GHawk
    I believe most pre 96 vehicles are OBD-1, after that most all are OBD-2, but thats just from what I have seen, I could be wrong.

'95 is definitely OBD-II, it has connectors for both, but is wired for II. i had to wire in my OBD-I connector so i could use it with my 1g ECU

I have been trying to get this answer, so far I have been told is a Hybrid. Started in 94 and covered all 95's and then OBDII for 96's.

I have been exprimenting with Datalogger and the cable for an Eclipse.

I think Iam close, because now I know that the SRS and the ECU are sharing pin #1 and the ADLC connector with 1 pin is there to plug the Mitsu Harness for a MUT II scan tool that needs power from the Lighter.

Im trying to get close to a MITSU tech to see if I can make a cable from his.

Experienced TGC Member
    Ive heard that too, they are an OBD & OBDII mix. But this seems to be only on galant ecus for some reason. Because I am running a 95 eclipse ecu and its full OBD2.

Someone was asking how to get a logger to work on 4g64 group if anyone has an answer I'd like to forward the information along..
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

From what I got, the cars with a manufacturing date of 95 are OBDii the ones for 95 with 94 dates are Hybrids.

Also, if you trace the wiring the 94/95 cars have the cables in diferent order than the 95 and above.

Datalogger should work on 95 and above if they are OBDII's.
    You need the cable for datalogger.

Otherwise you should be able to use any OBD2, but I think they are ISO standards and I think 97 or 98 are fully OBD2's.

so can i use an OBDII scanner on my 95 Galant? it's got a manufacturing date of Nov94.

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ProGect95G)</div><div class='quotemain'>so can i use an OBDII scanner on my 95 Galant? Â*it's got a manufacturing date of Nov94.</div>

He said you could if you had a manufacturing date of 95 and above.. I think your shit outa luck :cry:
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

Me being shit outta luck, anyone know how I can run a self-diagnostic on the engine? Or more specifically, what do I use!? :?

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ProGect95G)</div><div class='quotemain'>Me being shit outta luck, anyone know how I can run a self-diagnostic on the engine? Â*Or more specifically, what do I use!? Â*:?</div>

I supose you could always use your credit card to pay the dealer to read error codes for you :laughing:

Sorry dude I have no idea..
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

THANKS JiP! I can't believe I didn't think about that one!

(Seriously, that was a good one dude. Good to know some 7Gers still have a sense of humor, even when it comes to a car that's broken down. :cry: )

But yeah, I've decided I'm gonna have to bust out with tha good ol' credit card and bite the bullet.

Experienced TGC Member
    Sorry dude,

but I've heard that question asked about how to read the obd1-obd2 hybird cars many many times and I have yet to hear an answer as to what datalogger will work.

You could try autozone they will read the codes for free if they can that is..other wise guess you have no choice and have to hit the dealer nazi's

good luck
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

AutoZone does not have the cable for 94/95 mitsu.

Im still trying, this weekend I will try a new cable Iam building. I do not think it will work, but lets see.

I do know that the cable is a MUT II, Mitsu-2. It have both connectors and the cig lighther plug. The reason I think is that the SRS and Tranny are also connected to pin 1 and the pin on the ADLC plug all need to be shorted together before you can get the data out and one pin is for voltage and the other for ground.

I do not plan to give up that easy. And I Have posted this in this site a few times.

My next move is to try to get hold of one of the scanners for both OBD I and II with Asian Chips (Althought this is a DSM )

Im back:

Well so far this is what I got:

1) Need to use MUT-II because our cars have 2 ports needed to be connected together for communications between all the computers because the use 1 line for the communications.

2) this configuration also needs a specail cable with a cig lighter connector to supply voltage to the computers while using the scanner. And yes you should be able to drive and log at the same time.

3) I found something interesting. Looks like in japan you can add a meter that can monitor the tension of the belts, for the US you can monitor fuel efficiency and voltages, and a few others.

Im still looking.

I could not wait any more so I got the Mitsu Service Manuals for this car.

Its the 2 Volume Set Body and Electrical.

only for the 1994 - 1995 car.

So:

The pins we need are:

1 - Diagnostics

4 - 5 Ground

9 - for Cars with ETACS ECU.

16 - Live + 12 Volts.

I will post all of them later on.

And according to this book, we should be able to use a Voltmeter (the Analog one) to read the codes. Do not use a Digital because most if not all will adjust the reading so you would not be able to see the fluctuations.

OK Here is the latest.

Only for 94 and to 6/95. (cars that have the obd II port and a rectangular port to the left (closer to the steering rack)

To use a voltmeter. Analog (the one that have a big needle in the display DO not USE a regular digital (these are set to use the average)

The pins we need are:

1 - Diagnostics Port - go to ground use any metal part of the car. Read via the Check engine light.

4 - 5 Ground

4&5 + 12&13 Cruise control

4 + 6 Tranny

4&5 to single pin in the rectangular port Pin 30 - I have to check this one ( I forgot).

9 - for Cars with ETACS ECU.

16 - Live + 12 Volts.

I will be testing these connections shortly. But this came from the 94/95 Mitsu Service Books 2 volume set.