The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: led taillight project... pics

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Showing results 61 to 80 of 100
    well you're already set up. If you decide to do a new setup sometime I would go with the pwm on each side. Only one per side. I just think the way you setup up with the harness and all is why your dim. Your brake picture looked real bright but I figure thats because the harness allows full power from the leds when you brake. Which will kill your led's pretty quickly. Am I wrong? maybe the harness only allows a certain amount of power through, i dont know. But when you run leds, it's important to make sure that they're not running at their max output. If they do you could face early death. Usually when running led's that run at 70mA max, you would only want them to run at 50mA or 60mA. This makes sure that they have room to run a little high and not reach max output. If they do the heat will kill them. I'm sure you looked into all this when building them so sorry if I sound like I'm talking down or something. But if you do redo them at an time, I would go with a PWM to run them. Will make sure that they run uniformly and effectly. If you run the pwm right and have the right resistors between your leds, they should look good and last a long time.

yep all have resistors.. and yeah i looked into it, but u deff know more than me.. thanks.. i am know smarter
    Mods:
    2 tone leather interior, touch screen navigation, 7inch headrest tv's, 17" Driftz Black and Polished rims, 215 50 17 Goodyear Eagle Nct5 tires Tein s lowering springs, kyb gr-2 struts, rearview mirror camera, diamond black paint custom front and lower grill, Chrome door pillars., and chrome door handles. Powder coated my wipper arms wet black, exhaust heat sheild and my valve cover. 2nd gen led taillights

ok, i got the running light brighter and the brake lights a bit dimmer...

Mods:
    2 tone leather interior, touch screen navigation, 7inch headrest tv's, 17" Driftz Black and Polished rims, 215 50 17 Goodyear Eagle Nct5 tires Tein s lowering springs, kyb gr-2 struts, rearview mirror camera, diamond black paint custom front and lower grill, Chrome door pillars., and chrome door handles. Powder coated my wipper arms wet black, exhaust heat sheild and my valve cover. 2nd gen led taillights

yeah looks good. What did you end up using?

I just started my retro tonight. I took apart a tail tonight and made the board and fitted all the led's where I want them. Starting soldering this week and building my circuitry. Doing something a little different with this car that I think will be cool. Things are good so far. Only thing is that I melted my tail cause the oven was too hot haha. Oh well. Another pair will house the new leds.

4G64TT8G
    nice lights im thinkin of gettiin sum

Quote Originally Posted by cg8798 View Post
    yeah looks good. What did you end up using?

I just started my retro tonight. I took apart a tail tonight and made the board and fitted all the led's where I want them. Starting soldering this week and building my circuitry. Doing something a little different with this car that I think will be cool. Things are good so far. Only thing is that I melted my tail cause the oven was too hot haha. Oh well. Another pair will house the new leds.
    i used a bigger resistor to handle the load, i am happy with the outcome.. Was the quickest way to go..
    Mods:

4G64TT8G
    where did you get those tail lights hit me up om PM

read the post
    Mods:

Quote Originally Posted by 4G64TT8G View Post
    where did you get those tail lights hit me up om PM
    haha the entire thread is about making these lights. How was that missed?

I'm actually progressing on my project. Everything is wired except for the sequential stuff. Having trouble with the circuit I built at the moment. I'm not as happy as I hoped I would be cause the stock lens is so raised that its hard to see the LED lines I made. Maybe I'll buy some jdm 2nd gen tails and put the boards in there. I'll post some pictures of the project soon if anyone is interested.

i would like to see.. yeah i kept it simple.. what you told me about sounded great, but i just wanted to keep it simple..
    Mods:

yeah whatever works. I was just giving my opinions on the setup to try to get the best results and long life. Just using resistors and such can sometimes cut the life of the leds. I changed my design a little so it's taking me longer and I burned my pwm on a different project I was doing so I get getting delayed ha.

well I figured I'd post a few pics of my setup. Here is the actual led setup.

Unfortunately for the way the galant tails are set up, the lens is so reflective it's hard to get the real look of the leds. The light gets really disbursed unless the leds are right on the lens. Not too happy with it. But I may sell these and get some 3rd gen tails and work with those. The reverse leds are not wired so I have no pictures yet.

The bottoms rows are the special portion of my project. Sequential turn signals. Here's a video of how they work.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQEcpAtnWIg
    Last edited by cg8798; 12-09-2008 at 03:54 PM

The sequential tails are badass!

You need to make the delay in between each sequence shorter though. It's too slow.

there is no delay. I have to touch the power wire together to make them work now. Holding the camera and trying to hold two wires and touch them was tough haha. The delay is how the delay is on the car. When power is turned on and cut through the car, is when the lights go on and off. The circuit resets itself when the relay turns off. The array is adjustable so you can make them light faster or slower depending on how fast the relay blinks.

Tutorial man... that looks awesome. Are you using a programable board for this?
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES 2.4L 4G64 */* !!NEW!! 03 Honda CBR F4i
    * a little done -*- more to come *
    My Dual Halo H3 Projector Project

no not a programmable board. Circuit involving 4017 chip.

Yeah this looks cool. I might wanna try it.

After the year turns though because money is tight right now. haha

Quote Originally Posted by cg8798 View Post
    no not a programmable board. Circuit involving 4017 chip.
    and thats just for the sequental part? im curious as to how the sequental stuff all works. ive had some pretty sweet ideas for some sequential brake/turn lights.

the only thing that I see as a problem with all of this, is I want to find a place that could make a custom plexiglass replacement for the taillight, just perfectly clear. I wonder how hard that is to get done

probably going to cost you alot. Why do you want a clear lens? Very illegal. You need reflectors on the car. Without them, and adding leds, you'll get the attention of the police pretty easily.

No thats not the only thing for the sequential part. The are a lot of other components involved in the circuit to make it work.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast