The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Overheating

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Overheating

Hey guys. Haven't been on here in awhile. Anyway, my 8g 4cyl overheats while idling for a couple of minutes. If I'm in a drivethru, I have to turn on the heat and the temp goes down. Not too fun in the summer.

I've had this problem for years, and it's getting worse. I still had it after waterpump replacement, thermo replaced, and fluid flush.

Anyone else have this problem? Is there an Eclipse performance radiator that will fit?

Thanks

You check your temp sensors? Fans Kicking on?

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    You still running the original OEM radiator?

What color is your coolant..still green? Is it transparent or cloudy? When was the last time you flushed your coolant.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Fan kicks on. Still using OEM radiator. Green coolant still looks good. It was flushed a few years ago, but I've had this same problem before and after. I've put maybe 500 miles on the car in the last 3 years. Looking to sell it soon, but don't want to sell a car that can't sit in traffic in SoCal.

Experienced TGC Member jimmy_o2's Avatar
    is the water level constant of do u have to keep adding more water to the mix, u wanting to replace radiator ??? why is it leaking
    03 I4

There's constant threads about this all you guys are just giving him random guessing.

I still had it after waterpump replacement, thermo replaced, and fluid flush.

You know there's a thread on this w/ a solution.....

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=41977
    Last edited by G-spot; 06-13-2010 at 09:11 AM

Water level is constant.

The fan in front of the radiator kicks on. Do those problems as described in the above thread apply to mine? I'm not very savvy beyond changing plugs and oil, so I think I'm missing something there about the fuses and electronic components.

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Just need to burp the system and replace the Thermostat. Had that issue and that was the problem. You have air in your system.

Had a similar problem on my V6. Never really overheated, just ran hot in traffic. Turned out to be the coolant temp sending unit that drives the gauge. There are two, one for the gauge and one for the fan circuit on the V6. Not sure on the 4cyl though. In my case the car wasn't overheating. I just looked like it was because the temp gage would read high.