The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Cold Air Intake??

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Showing results 61 to 80 of 92
    no difference in power that is in your head, just makes a difference in throttle response and sound.

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

nope. wheels break traction easier off the line, and times from 55-70 under WOT are shorter. i can feel the car pull harder compared to the stock intake. also lengthens the powerband. gears pull harder and longer. everyone that has ever rode in my car after the intake can also feel the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo freak View Post
    nope. wheels break traction easier off the line, and times from 55-70 under WOT are shorter. i can feel the car pull harder compared to the stock intake. also lengthens the powerband. gears pull harder and longer. everyone that has ever rode in my car after the intake can also feel the difference.
    That is because they hear the noise and your tires are bald.

1996 galant s

Quote Originally Posted by Galant306m View Post
    Haha I really dont like this kid, I killed his rep on his 4th post. I agree with mitch your intake did nothing unless your stock air box was clogged and you filter was covered in crude oil.

Quote Originally Posted by 03-Galant-ES View Post
    Haha I really dont like this kid, I killed his rep on his 4th post. I agree with mitch your intake did nothing unless your stock air box was clogged and you filter was covered in crude oil.
    lmao,

i say let them do what they want its their money they are blowing or spending wisely. everyone knows they are right and each to his own opinion.

lol. win.

I cant find that old Import Tuner article(it might have been Super Street) online right now, but I remember them dynoing a 2000 Eclipse cold air intake and it made 6 hp. you can't feel 6 hp. If youre breaking traction with just an intake, you need better tires.

I found this new (to me) article online from Modified magazine.

http://www.modified.com/tech/0205scc..._gt/index.html

the cold air intake gained a tire spin inducing 5 hp.
    Last edited by qnz; 01-13-2010 at 04:03 PM

Hence throttle response

1996 galant s

Experienced TGC Member johnygezony's Avatar
    LOL super street, those magazines where littered with rice ads. Its funny to look at my brothers old ones and just look at the kinda crap they had for sale, most of their products being for hondas.

used to read them when i was a freshmen in high school and was all about doing a civic, good thing i bought the galant and found my one true love 4g64/63 t's <3

1996 galant s

^^ you were going to get owned all the time
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

it still isnt clear to me why my rep went down. is it cuz i said "a$$" or was it cuz i dissed the 4g63? i mean cuz ive seen several foul words on here. and my tires had about 7k miles on them at the time of the swap. but wat ever... even if it is just 5 horses more, its still an increase. i wasnt implying that it added like 50 horses. i didnt come to this site hoping to be put down on every one of my posts, just trying to learn wat i dont kno, and give suggestions to other galant owners.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo freak View Post
    it still isnt clear to me why my rep went down. is it cuz i said "a$$" or was it cuz i dissed the 4g63? i mean cuz ive seen several foul words on here. and my tires had about 7k miles on them at the time of the swap. but wat ever... even if it is just 5 horses more, its still an increase. i wasnt implying that it added like 50 horses. i didnt come to this site hoping to be put down on every one of my posts, just trying to learn wat i dont kno, and give suggestions to other galant owners.
    You got neg repped cause who the hell are you to mouth off to any of the members here. We joke around an know each other over the months that we have been here you have 4 posts and call someone an ass that doesnt fly.

Do you have like 175s on your car or was the ground wet? And its doubtful you got 5 its probably more like 1 or 2 and some noise especially since you have a SRI not a CAI, you dont even have a heat shield.

Most of us have CAIs on our galants and other cars and you disagree with us. The sound is what made your friends think it was more hp, you wont feel a 1-5 hp difference really.
    Last edited by 03-Galant-ES; 01-13-2010 at 09:36 PM

sarcasm is the currency on the internet. like it. love it.

We are all hear to learn and share information. However, if misleading information is presented, members will always correct you, using facts.

I know, youre excited about your Galant. The intake sounds badass when you step on it. I know. I was that guy too, roaring around campus with my intake and exhaust. Just dont mistake your Galant as a rubber-burning, high powered race car.

Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post
    ^^ you were going to get owned all the time
    Dude i figured out the ls vtech swap when i was a junior and would have done it but i never found a clean civic, then my friend said he was selling the galant when i was a senior and i needed a new car bought her, and started to educate myself haha.

and yes the ls vtech turbo civic still would be gay cause it says civic on it and they are all ricers IMO nothing different in that community EVER

1996 galant s

Icon1

no difference in power that is in your head, just makes a difference in throttle response and sound.
    CAI is the best add-on you could make to your engine. We have to learn the science behind how a engine works. Colder, denser air acts like “food” for your engine, giving it the extra amount of power that it needs to perform optimally.
    I have an Injen system both a short ram and a CAI and i could say is a different in performance and response.

Here is a article that explain a lil better about how it works.

http://www.autoanything.com/air-intakes/50A5A115A1.aspx

Ummm they are saying all that just because THEY SELL THEM to people who think and believe they will make SO much hp with them.

CAI's make you're car sound cooler and add about 1-6 hp at the crank umm so with a 30% loss through the drive train you gain little to no hp at all.

The best power add on is foreced induction not a cold air intake.

1996 galant s

it has 205s on it. but i guess ill take it to my local forums next dyno day, and try the stock and SRI setups. and i kno, that even lightly modded 6g72s will pretty much get blown away by a stock audi A4 with the 1.8L I4 turbo. i mean, my car wont even manage to keep up with a stock base model dodge stratus. i did happen to gain 3 lengths off the line on a '95 talon tsi. lol

Im just saying really, i had a adapter for a cone filter on my 7g just because it sounded better then the stock box.

Basing this off of mechanical engineering and fluid dynamics, the engine has a certain cylinder volume, Yes the cai may flow more air but the engine can not fit more air into the cylinder with out it being compressed (forced induction) because of the volume of the cylinder, there for you are really not going to make any more power off of a short ram or a CAI because it is not gaining added air like they say. Its just a smoother flowing air that may be colder but just because it is more dense you are not going to make a ton of hp. Your car makes more hp on cooler days but gets worse gas mileage because the MAF senses colder air and dumps more fuel to compensate.
    Last edited by Galant306m; 01-14-2010 at 12:20 AM

1996 galant s

I still don't get it why some people today still claim that a CAI or an SRI setup will give an "significant gain" to the engine? That's Honda talk and that's so 1999. Back then, DIY turbo build was hard to come by so a CAI setup was the "in" thing for most import tuners. But now we live in a time where building a decent F/I can be done at your own house so that's why we see a growing number of Galant owners opting that route. There are some difference between a better throttle response compared to a quicker, stronger working engine. You got to put more into the engine than just a metal air pipe, other than that, the rest is all in your head.

BTW, thanks for calling me an A$$ on the other thread, Turbo Freak. I've looked into your garage, for a guy who only has a Injen SRI and angel eyes as a mod you like to talk big, huh? Try not to do it here especially since you just joined recently. I'm just saying....
    Last edited by G-spot; 01-14-2010 at 12:18 AM

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast