The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: RedGalant's Progress.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Showing results 61 to 80 of 92
    At this point the plastic crashbar is NOT on the car. We'll try and trim it to see if it will work but by the time it is trimmed im afraid the structural integrity of the whole bar itself would be compromised. Ideally, the best way to go about it is to make a bar out of DOM steel. Likely, the front would need the same type of custom crash bar.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

I figured that's your other car in that pic :) Yeah, from my experience, the crashbars are pretty close to useless anyways once you are lowered. I was just curious to get a feel for the depth. I used to have a VRG front bumper on my '01, and there's no way anything oem-like would fit under there.

Quote Originally Posted by gtx View Post
    I figured that's your other car in that pic :) Yeah, from my experience, the crashbars are pretty close to useless anyways once you are lowered. I was just curious to get a feel for the depth. I used to have a VRG front bumper on my '01, and there's no way anything oem-like would fit under there.
    Indeed, you would need JDM crash bars or a heavily modded usdm crash bar.

yeah the vrg front and rear bumpers are way shorter than the vr4. you basically have to shave the crashbar to the point where its probably bendable. I really liked the the vrg rear lips but unfortunately it didn't work with a usdm or vr4 bumper without major modification. if I remember correctly I think I got the rear lip from lucap. but sold it to get a vr4 bumper since I my car was at the bodyshop. Cant wait to see all the pieces on the car. its still my favorite jdm conversion.
    02 Galant ES I4 ~ DD. JDM Kit/BBS LM Gold/D2/EvoRecaro/EGR/JL Audio/Eclipse Audio/Greddy/Injen/Project Kics/Brembos
    2010 Lexus IS350c Tungsten Pearl Mica/Volk GTM/H&R Springs/F sport intake/Project Kics/Lems Shift knob
    2010 Lexus IS-F Ultrasonic Blue/Volk TE37/HKS Hipermax IV GT/Ventross Kit/Lexon/JoezPerformance/Tom's/Project Kics/RR-racing tune
    2009 Acura TL w/Tech package A-spec Kit/ BBS LM/Tein

Quote Originally Posted by dronesurfboards View Post
    yeah the vrg front and rear bumpers are way shorter than the vr4. you basically have to shave the crashbar to the point where its probably bendable. I really liked the the vrg rear lips but unfortunately it didn't work with a usdm or vr4 bumper without major modification. if I remember correctly I think I got the rear lip from lucap. but sold it to get a vr4 bumper since I my car was at the bodyshop. Cant wait to see all the pieces on the car. its still my favorite jdm conversion.
    The VRG rear bumper is roughly 3" shallower than the USDM rear bumper. The VRG Front bumper is roughly 2" shallower than the USDM front. Even after that, then you have the shave/cut several inches out of the factory radiator core support and frame rail because the foglight openings are several inches higher than any other JDM bumper. Oh, and I don't think anyone has converted and 02-03 Galant to a VRG setup. I think the core support is different than 99-01s.

Removed the crash bar altogether and started notching the radiator support and frame rails.

This shows some of the cutting we had to do. We had to end up cutting more so the foglight brackets would fit.

VRG JDM rear shown with USDM rear, you can see how much shallower the VRG bumpers are.

Front VRG bumper on and JDM headlights in, mostly, a little more finishing prior to installation. The lips are also getting painted as of right now. Headlights still need to be wired.

This shows you just how shallow the VRG front bumper also is, almost flush with the hood!

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    The VRG rear bumper is roughly 3" shallower than the USDM rear bumper. The VRG Front bumper is roughly 2" shallower than the USDM front. Even after that, then you have the shave/cut several inches out of the factory radiator core support and frame rail because the foglight openings are several inches higher than any other JDM bumper. Oh, and I don't think anyone has converted and 02-03 Galant to a VRG setup. I think the core support is different than 99-01s.
    I wish I've gotten to you guys before you did that, as I did manage to just trim that fog mounting point on the bumper and get away with it. It was on my '01, but after breaking that down, and also my '02, I don't remember the rad support being different other than the upper bumper bracket / grill mounting points. Now I wonder, so I will revisit my pictures.

Regardless, the car is going to look great!

Sorry for the nighttime pictures, but the bumper is fully mounted. Headlights are flush with the bumper. Need to get the front grille, front lip, and headlights/foglights wired up.

My buddy doing the installation test fit his bright blue JDM grille,....maybe I should leave it in?? LOL.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    Sorry for the nighttime pictures, but the bumper is fully mounted. Headlights are flush with the bumper. Need to get the front grille, front lip, and headlights/foglights wired up.

My buddy doing the installation test fit his bright blue JDM grille,....maybe I should leave it in?? LOL.
    Looking good man.

Nice, I like the pic of both cars facing each other. Quick question, seeing you all have v6's and are lower than me, do either of you have any axle issues or wobble? I've kinda been thinking about going lower with coils, but not an urgent issue lol

Quote Originally Posted by 8thLS6 View Post
    Nice, I like the pic of both cars facing each other. Quick question, seeing you all have v6's and are lower than me, do either of you have any axle issues or wobble? I've kinda been thinking about going lower with coils, but not an urgent issue lol
    I don't notice any vibration issues. Jigz is lower than I am with his V6, and he says he has noticeable vibrations. He could tell you better if there are any corrections with so much lowering.

Proper photoshoot soon please?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

Gotcha, thanks for sharing...can't wait to see the lip and grille on

Quote Originally Posted by Galantman03 View Post
    Proper photoshoot soon please?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You know it son! I'm excited to see how crazy these Mitsubishi people will be at MOD in Normal, IL later this month!!

Much Thanks for my homie Jigz for getting all this done.

Headlights are wired, just need a new connector for the passenger side, old one was badly corroded.

Front Grille re-painted Gloss Black to match the rest of the vehicle.

All 3 of my cars had the vibration at around 70mph once dropped on the same suspension while being AT. Never was a problem when I was 5sp, smooth as butter.

One more vote for a proper photo shoot, you know I have soft spot for that color with VrG gear on it.

My car vibrates like a mfer at lower speeds up to about 35. But my v6 is not just low. It's retarded low. Probably hands down one of the lowest static Galants around. I have a pretty worn intermediate shaft bearing so I'm going to fix that and see if it goes away.

Dave's car should be done by middle of next week. I'm pretty excited to finally see the full complete product. No worries about pictures either. You all will get some good ones. Promise
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Much props to my dude Jigz, he said the JDM old style side skirts were a pain to get fitted. I expected that just eyeballing them.

Installing the side skirts, these were a pain, but getting it worked out!

Side skirts on, rear extensions on. Lips should be painted and on any day now.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast