The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Making New Style Turn Flood work AUTHENTICALLY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 21
    Experienced TGC Member 02redgalant's Avatar

Making New Style Turn Flood work AUTHENTICALLY

what's this for??
    ok new style have two beams as you can see...fog light is easy to make work,but the turn flood wiring is non existant which what this thread is for...the turn flood is supposed to stay constantly on while the turn signal is flashing...

DO it at your own risk You messing up= not my fault
    your gonna need

two spdt relays $10
    4 rectifying diodes $3
    4 4700UF capacitors $16-$20
    2 resistors $3
    tons of heat shrink $6
    2 packs of 14 guage wiring $6
    rosin core $2
    wire loom(recommended) or rap it in electrical tape

and HOURS of Free Time & patience lol

this is what I used

now this is how i prepped them its essential that you Identify which side is negative on the capacitors..if you don't these things can explode no bueno...also this setup requires a 10,000uf capacitor good luck find it at radioshack but you can take two 4700 and TIE them together..not independent very important as shown..make sure you place the diode correctly,resistors do not have polarity...

this is the simple layout that Astig made (thx)

86-turn sign
    85-ground
    30-fused battery
    87-flood light

now if you run it exactly how it is...your turn floods will turn on ALL the time....which is what you don't want...so your gonna have to run an additional relay (total of 3 relays now)
    you can connect it to the Parking Light/hazards or Low Beam ..doing that it only allows is it to come on at night....FUSED of course

heres mine
    this will not work for 99% of you since you haven't created a hid headlight harness....basically my setup doesn't use stock wiring to power my headlights it uses direct from the battery..so that leaves my stock wiring unused which is why I run the turn floods directly off them...

I honestly can't urge you enough if you attempt this to make sure your soldering skills are solid,after its cold pull your connections make sure there solid...imagine these things are gonna feel all the vibrations and bumps driving which can take a toll on a crappy job ultimately connections separating or even worse a SHORT..and USE heatshrink to cover your soldering!!!!! not electrical tape it was not designed for that!!

were did a mount my relays?
    behind the fenders through the opening to the hood compartment..this way if relay goes bad i can easily swap it..

and the end result
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ip-Up-lkUY

would I do it again?
    cool factor/authenticity is good..but for my application output is less then I expect since I have TSX's projectors hid pretty much cancell it out lol..if your stock i'm sure its worth it..i'm gonna try find better bulbs

any questions comments feel free
    Last edited by 02redgalant; 02-21-2010 at 10:35 AM

awesome job julio!!!

Drive, Dream, Drift.
    Drift ALL DAY

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Good write up dude. Should be a sticky.

I dont get it...

Experienced TGC Member Bloody Arro's Avatar
    ^ Because it's good..

(jk)

Quote Originally Posted by Blue8g View Post
    And fwd grocery fetters are fun, you wouldn't be on this forum if you didn't agree
    Quote Originally Posted by 8thLS6 View Post
    Tuning to me is like magic... I don't understand it but it makes things happen lol

i dont get it either, did you just make independent switchs for all the lights

thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by KaziKai View Post
    I dont get it...

Quote Originally Posted by JoeRad View Post
    i dont get it either, did you just make independent switchs for all the lights
    re read the top i updated it ..

there's no independent switch...when I switch my headlights on they become functional...to stay on when the turn signal is flashing on the corresponding side
    Last edited by 02redgalant; 02-21-2010 at 10:34 AM

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Those fog lights on an original VR-4, when you apply the turn signal, the outside light on the fog light should come on. That is called a flood light. Most cars here can't use that option because it's not available on the 8G, so you have to rewire them like he did to work just like the original.

Great work!

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    Nice job!

i did this mod thanks to Astig about a year ago...still works great!
    From Boost Addicts to Carbon Fanatics™ www.socalautowerks.com

Censee: Im trying to pimp some hoes for money for the lsd. 3/28/2011
    Cali: Sig 3/28/2011

I would like them to come on all the time, i.e., even when the light switch for the headlights is in the "auto" (off) position, I'd want the floods to work (different sets of rules in Norway, etc). Would I need to run the third relay with the fused +12V from the battery to the 30 terminal of the relays for the floods, or could I bypass that completely?

Apart from the fuse and the third relay, I have everything I need with regards to components at the moment. All I'm lacking now is a clue :)
    Last edited by csj; 03-18-2010 at 12:47 PM

no in that case you just need one relay...hook it up 12v source in the car when the car is on
    30 fused battery
    86 trigger 12v source in the car when its on
    87 to both turn floods
    Last edited by 02redgalant; 03-18-2010 at 01:31 PM

Cool, thanks. I've got everything wired up, just need a break from the rain to connect it and see if it works. :)

I was just reading over this thread, and realized this is a very difficult method for those who aren't electronic savy.

This past summer I rewired for a friend a 94 rx-7 that was fitted with a RHD front half, so he wanted turn signals, hazards, park, brake and head lights. after messing with it, all off these have a negative trigger wire off the lever, same as in our cars. That negative triggers a relay somewhere in the car, they all have solid ground, meaning the turn signals don't flash on the ground wire. That's the job of the flasher under load.

A simple way to do this would be to use a relay, triggered by that negative wire from the lever that activates the side that's in use, it wont flash since its straight ground.

Feel free to PM for a basic diagram.
    Last edited by oakrdrs187; 02-28-2011 at 02:17 PM

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    I was just reading over this thread, and realized this is a very difficult method for those who aren't electronic savy.

This past summer I rewired for a friend a 94 rx-7 that was fitted with a RHT front half, so he wanted turn signals, hazards, park, brake and head lights. after messing with it, all off these have a negative trigger wire off the lever, same as in our cars. That negative triggers a relay somewhere in the car. they all have solid ground, meaning the turn signals dont flash on the ground wire. Thats the job of the flasher under load.

A simple way to do this would be to use a relay trigger by that negative wire from the lever that activates the side thats in use, it wont flash since its straight ground.

Feel free to PM for a basic diagram.

A very simple method is to get a
    i was thinking the same thing.....

i see what your saying its ideally what you would want to do probably comes from factory that way...but lmk when you find that negative ground trigger wire lol ...ideally especially for those who arent tech savy you want it to be the least evasive on stock wiring ..so tapping into a fused turn signal bulb is better route to me especially when you can remove it at any time with ease..if you have an issue with the wiring it can be easily corrected since its right there

Quote Originally Posted by 02redgalant View Post
    i see what your saying its ideally what you would want to do probably comes from factory that way...but lmk when you find that negative ground trigger wire lol ...ideally especially for those who arent tech savy you want it to be the least evasive on stock wiring ..so tapping into a fused turn signal bulb is better route to me especially when you can remove it at any time with ease..if you have an issue with the wiring it can be easily corrected since its right there
    But you start to mess with diodes and other devices, but really its up to the one doing the job, IMO the negative trigger off the column harness would be the easiest way to do it.

Easy as this......

Also its one relay per side. And if your relay doesn't have pin 87a it will still work, its not used.
    Last edited by oakrdrs187; 12-22-2010 at 12:26 PM

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    But you start to mess with diodes and other devices, but really its up to the one doing the job, IMO the negative trigger off the column harness would be the easiest way to do it.

Easy as this......

Also its one relay per side. And if your relay doesn't have pin 87a it will still work, its not used.
    good stuff my friend...

Experienced TGC Member Dominicano's Avatar
    if you tap into the two ground points on the steering column for left and right and run the power of somewhere else fused of course wouldn't that basically do the same thing without needing a relay or any other stuff. i found the connector and the pin position on the 8g manual

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast