The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: lets talk natrually aspirated

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast
Showing results 201 to 220 of 224
    Well increasing displacement can be bad though, with NA engines (at least in Hondas/Toyotas/Mitsus from what I've seen) increasing displacement will lower the rev limit of the car and you lose power...

Quote Originally Posted by Blue8g View Post
    Well increasing displacement can be bad though, with NA engines (at least in Hondas/Toyotas/Mitsus from what I've seen) increasing displacement will lower the rev limit of the car and you lose power...
    stroke, yes, bore no, if the bore is increase enough, a shorter stroke crank can be used, which even with the original con rods, will allow for for higher revving and because of the increased bore, there is not much displacement lost, but bottom end torque will be sacrificed because of the shorter stroker, for your build specifically, just boring out will do nicely
    Last edited by foxbrand; 06-25-2011 at 01:11 PM

long con rod. the stock r/s is good for 7500 rpm and the 1.56 r/s is good 8500+ rpm
    94 Galant GS: 4G67 head, 1G IM, Evo 8 TB, DeltaCam 272/264 Cams, Test Pipe, OE Avenger V6 60mm catback w/muffler, modified Outlander header, DIY COP setup, B/S delete, 315cc injectors, AEM UEGO WBO2, Black case 3G ECU

1994 GS FYI
    DSM/CSM Manuals

You are here entirely tooo much!! IVORY_G's Avatar
    What would be faster? A DOHC swapped (Kia/Hyundai head) 4G64 with I/H/E and a tune or a SOHC 4G64 with I/H/E, Cam, valve springs, cam gear, and a tune?
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

most likely the later, as the kia head drops the comp ratio too low

Quote Originally Posted by mrg7243 View Post
    most likely the later, as the kia head drops the comp ratio too low
    Really? What does it drop to? IIRC the 8G 4G64 ranges from 9:1 to 9.5:1 ratio right?
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

Quote Originally Posted by IVORY_G View Post
    Really? What does it drop to? IIRC the 8G 4G64 ranges from 9:1 to 9.5:1 ratio right?
    from the research I have done only very few run galants have the 9:1 these were some of the first ones made. Most others have the flat top 9.5 ones. the kia head drops the comp ratios about a complete point so the 9:1 would be roughly 8:1 and the 9.5:1 would become 8.5:1

from the research I have done only very few run galants have the 9:1 these were some of the first ones made. Most others have the flat top 9.5 ones. the kia head drops the comp ratios about a complete point so the 9:1 would be roughly 8:1 and the 9.5:1 would become 8.5:1
    Ahh I see, thats optimal for a Turbo build but not an NA build. So what would be the best way too raise compression in a SOHC for an NA build?
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Ahh I see, thats optimal for a Turbo build but not an NA build. So what would be the best way too raise compression in a SOHC for an NA build?
    easiset way would be pistons. If you do some serious number crunching you can have the head and block decked for more comp. But pistons would be your route

easiset way would be pistons. If you do some serious number crunching you can have the head and block decked for more comp. But pistons would be your route
    Thats what I figured, but my guess is after doing pistons, valve springs, cam, cam gear, port & polished head, Outlander IM, and 6G74 65mm TB, CAI, Long tube header, 2.5" exhaust, manual tranny swap, and a good tune will not result anymore than approx 200WHP if that. Right?
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Thats what I figured, but my guess is after doing pistons, valve springs, cam, cam gear, port & polished head, Outlander IM, and 6G74 65mm TB, CAI, Long tube header, 2.5" exhaust, manual tranny swap, and a good tune will not result anymore than approx 200WHP if that. Right?
    Ehhhhh depends really on what comp ratio. I would go with a custom manifold, no need to polish a head only port it. I would have the entire bottom end balanced. It really is a new ground as not many have documented the results of all this

Ehhhhh depends really on what comp ratio. I would go with a custom manifold, no need to polish a head only port it. I would have the entire bottom end balanced. It really is a new ground as not many have documented the results of all this
    Yeah I just dont know if it would be worth it...
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Ivory- the 6g74 TB is a 68mm. Yes high compression piston would take you to 200hp. Outlander mani will flow best with the new cp. also some mild cams and springs will make the engine breath better for more space for power.
    Last edited by Isaurio; 02-16-2012 at 06:26 PM

Triple Diamond Motors East Cost
    02 2.5L Fully Built Galant 5 speed
    SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

Experienced TGC Member
    Actually for N/A the OEM tubular intake manifold has the best design (though widely known for cracking issues). You will maintain torque which the 4cyl needs for the 8th Gen to move the weight, pushing a 12:1 CR and some cams into the mix could get you some better numbers.

To say it will get you into the 200hp mark I am not sure. A lot of what you can find on the 3G RS/GS models with just some bolt ons and a tune make anywhere from 130-150hp, bumping the compression up (depending on the bore/stroke increase) may only net 5-8% power increase. Adding cams to the mix and you may bump up to 10-15% power increase.

Take those figures into mind with the above hp numbers you can find on the 3G forums and you might see roughly 170-185hp out of the build. As it was stated already though, there isn't much for documentation on a N/A build because everybody generally jumps straight onto the forced induction route.

3G Eclipse Performance & Development - Denver, Colorado
    www.blackheartmotors.net

Quote Originally Posted by Isaurio View Post
    Ivory- the 6g74 TB is a 68mm. Yes high compression piston would take you to 200hp. Outlander mani will flow best with the new cp. also some mild cams and springs will make the engine breath better for more space for power.
    Ahh ok I had heard before the 6G74 was 65mm thats why I said that, good to know. I also forgot to add using an EVO MAF, & what about injectors? Would OEM suffice?

Quote Originally Posted by SPD_FRK View Post
    Actually for N/A the OEM tubular intake manifold has the best design (though widely known for cracking issues). You will maintain torque which the 4cyl needs for the 8th Gen to move the weight, pushing a 12:1 CR and some cams into the mix could get you some better numbers.

To say it will get you into the 200hp mark I am not sure. A lot of what you can find on the 3G RS/GS models with just some bolt ons and a tune make anywhere from 130-150hp, bumping the compression up (depending on the bore/stroke increase) may only net 5-8% power increase. Adding cams to the mix and you may bump up to 10-15% power increase.

Take those figures into mind with the above hp numbers you can find on the 3G forums and you might see roughly 170-185hp out of the build. As it was stated already though, there isn't much for documentation on a N/A build because everybody generally jumps straight onto the forced induction route.
    I figured realistically the engine would hit somewhere around 175-185WHP but I was hoping the tune might be able to bring out a lil more HP, but just being optomistic I guess.

I can see why not many guys have gone NA though, you almost spend just as much money to build up the motor and yield less HP gains. It'd be more bragging rights than anything. I wish Underated had documented his final NA #'s before going turbo :(
    It wouldve gave a closer idea of a HP #...
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Matt" SPD. Do you know the 3g manual trani gear ratios from 1-5 gear.

SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

Go G4JS...
    There's a 4G64 swapped Mirage in Puerto Rico putting down 172whp with I/H/E, custom IM, 70mm TB, adjustable cam gear, and tune.
    200whp is not very hard to attain.
    94 Galant GS: 4G67 head, 1G IM, Evo 8 TB, DeltaCam 272/264 Cams, Test Pipe, OE Avenger V6 60mm catback w/muffler, modified Outlander header, DIY COP setup, B/S delete, 315cc injectors, AEM UEGO WBO2, Black case 3G ECU

1994 GS FYI
    DSM/CSM Manuals

i'll see if i can find a couple of my old n/a logs and run them through virtual dyno. i didnt label them so i'll have to go by date stamp lol.
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

Sounds good. Talking about that. I try virtual dyno. I set it up i still need to put the proper gear ratio. But i put the weight so on. It said i made 134hp @4500 rpm 3rd gear pull. I had a few knocks with the 4400rpm. Im still smothing and fixing the knock on the big maps.
    Last edited by Isaurio; 02-17-2012 at 12:00 AM

SOHC Turbo

at first i was just using the rs/gs settings and changing the weight and tire info then i made my own info for may car

you can save this as a .xml file using notepad and put it in the galant section of VD's car folder

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?>
    <CarDataset xmlns="http://tempuri.org/CarDataset.xsd">
    <CarParameters>
    <CarMake>Mitsubishi</CarMake>
    <CarModel>Galant</CarModel>
    <CarSubModel>GST 5speed</CarSubModel>
    <StartYear>2001</StartYear>
    <EndYear>2001</EndYear>
    <Weight>2822</Weight>
    <TransTypeManual>true</TransTypeManual>
    <TransGear3>1.379</TransGear3>
    <TransGear4>1.030</TransGear4>
    <FinalGearRatio>3.722</FinalGearRatio>
    <DragCoefficient>0.33</DragCoefficient>
    <FrontalArea>24.78</FrontalArea>
    <TireDiameter>24.9</TireDiameter>
    </CarParameters>
    </CarDataset>
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast